Him

WHITE

"You crazy damned ba—"

But when the knife pierces into my arm, there's nothing that I feel. V shoots me a look, clearly unhappy with my choice of words.

His fingers are still tightened around my shoulder, and I can feel his Blessing course through my blood as it soothes away my pain.

"I told you." He mutters under his breath, his green eyes dark and jaw tensing. "Watch your mouth, demoiselle."

Watching the red trickle from the wound, I look back from this to him with amazement. That was clearly blood, but no pain that came along with it. It was almost like a miracle.

"How are you doing that?"

"I can take away pain." He repeats, his lips pursed with concentration. When he gently slides the blade from my arm, it leaves behind a deep bleeding gash that makes me uncertain if my body has the capability to heal. "Watch."

Then I feel it— a slight series of tingles around the wound as I follow his order. I can already feel it healing from the inside, at unimaginable speeds.

"I'm invincible!"

"No you're not." He retorts sharply, running his fingers through his raven hair. "The only reason it's healing that fast is because there's no pain holding you back. If I wasn't doing this, things would be a lot different."

"Oh."

"Regeneration is something many would kill for to get." The coldness of his hands seep into my skin, the usual edge of his voice sharpened even more. "Don't think this lightly."

When his grip loosens, I tug his wrist back onto my arm with a surprised look on my face.

"What are you doing?" I say, my voice a bit high with urgency. The wound was healing, but it was still there. Which meant it was going to sting as hell. "It's going to hurt if you let go."

A soft sigh escapes his parted lips.

"This is exhausting for me." He breathes, but he doesn't let go of me even with beads of sweat rolling down the side of his cheeks. "I'm going to have to let go sometime."

"Hold on." My words are quick as I instinctively cling onto him, my eyes flickering anxiously from watching his face to the mending wound. "I think it's going to-"

Then pain slashes from my neck to navel, brutal and sending my body into a short spasm. My hands fall limp from his wrist, and another stinging pulls at my arm as I lose all control on my Blessing.

I shiver.

When a whimper bursts from my lips, V snatches his hand from my shoulder with wide, scared eyes, almost tripping over his own feet as he backs away.

A shaken gasp whispers out of his lips, before he turns back into all ice and frosted silence.

"I don't understand." My features in a rough grimace, I meet his gaze. "It was fine before. I could touch you without all this. Is it your feelings? Why is it back? What—"

The silver glitters underneath his eyes.

"I think you should leave." He cuts me off, his green pools bitter with pain deeper than mine. "Now."

He's biting his lip so hard I can see blood, his hands tightened together behind his back. I can't believe I was stupid enough not to see it before. The reason why he kept me away, why he'd even tried to pull back earlier. Why it sometimes didn't hurt when I touched him, and why it had done just now.