Not so secret secrets

"Dad can I talk to you?"

Archie looks up from his phone and into his son's eyes.

"Sure bud, come here" He puts his phone away and pats the space next to him on the couch. His son sits down, staring to the ground.
Veronica is out with her friends so they are alone.

"What's wrong?" he places his hand onto his son's shoulder. He looks a lot like him but with his mother's dark hair.

"There's this girl" he starts.
On Archie's face spreads a grin. He loves that his son trusts him with that kind of stuff. It's the first time though that he asks for girl-advice.

"She's really sweet and I like her a lot but I don't know how to tell her and since you and mom are so close ..... how did you ask her out?" He looks up into his father's eyes.

"I never really did"

"I don't understand"

"Well, your mom and I kissed a couple of times, usually on parties and then we were dating. I'm not saying you should just kiss the girl. Don't do that".

"Great" his son sighs and falls onto his back. Archie chuckles and pulls him back up.

"If I could turn back time, I of course would ask your mother out. You know, dress nicely, get some flowers, maybe chocolate, stuff like that".

"Where would you go?"

"I would probably take her to Pop's. You'd wonder what a milkshake can do."

"Isn't that exactly what you and mom did last week?"

Archie smiles and ruffles his son's hair. He pushes is father's hand away and desperately tries to fix it. He really is a mini version of Archie and Veronica.

"Well bud, falling in love is easy. Staying in love requires work. You don't keep your one be doing nothing. Little gestures help. A kiss on the forehead, I can tell you girls love that, flowers, dinners, even if it's just a little note saying 'I love you'.

"I wanna have what you and mom have"

"And you will. Don't worry".

Just as they finish their conversation they hear the front door closing and the clicking of heels on the wooden floor approaching them.

"Hi boys. I'm back"

"Please don't tell mom. I don't want her to be all girly about this". his son whispers as he hears his mother getting closer.

Archie simply smiles and nods.

"Uhm, do I get a hello?" Veronica stands in the living room. Her arms are crossed in front of her chest with one eyebrow raised. Their son jumps up and walks over to her. He places a kiss on her cheek.

"Hi mom" he says before he runs to his room.

"What was that about?" she giggles as Archie wraps his arms around her. He gives her a kiss and then twirls her around. His hands are on her stomach and his head on top of hers.

"Ok I promised not to say anything but I think our boy laid eyes on a girl"

Veronica squeals turning back around in Archie's arms so that she is facing him again.

"Don't say anything though. I promised to keep it to myself" he pleads.

She nods. "What did he ask you?"

"Well Baby" he grins. His hands are sliding down her back to her butt. "he asked me how I made you mine".

"Because you put so much effort into that" she giggles.

"Hey, I really gave you my best kisses and you know damn well I was a nervous wreck around you. I fell for you the second you walked into that cool, little diner down the street". He points out of the window and pulls her closer to him.
"And I do my best to show you every day that you're my one"

She gets on her tiptoes and kisses him softly.
"I know. What did you tell him?"

"I told him to take her out and be a real gentleman"

Veronica rests her chin on his chest, looking up into his dreamy eyes. "That shouldn't be a problem. His dad is pretty good at being a gentleman and I can tell you there is this one girl who falls for this cool dad every day".

Archie leans down and plants another kiss on her lips. The grip on her waist tightens and he pulls her even closer.

"I love you" he whispers.

"I love you too"

"See, this is what I meant" They turn their heads to see their son back in the living room. His arms are in front of his chest. "Being all cute and in love after 15 years of marriage. I want that too".

He walks to his parents and loops one of Archie's arms around him. "I swear you guys, if you tell anyone I said it like that-"

"Chill bud" Archie chuckles "our lips are sealed".

"Cool"

"I thought you don't want to tell mom" Archie grins.

"I figured you would tell her"