The stranger from the bar

Totally forgot about this one! 😂 it has been in my drafts for months. I hope you like it!"
___________________________________

"Pop, I'll pay for whatever they have" Archie says and points over to Veronica and her five year old daughter.
Pop nods. This is not the first he pays for them. It's not that Veronica has money problems, on the contrary, she could easily buy the entire diner and Archie still pays for their dinner when she and Eliza wait for the girl's father every other weekend.
For almost two years now Archie sees those two walk into the dinner every other weekend. Over time he figured out what they were doing. It broke his heart when he saw the little girl cry because her dad didn't pick her up and the look in Veronica's eyes when she tried to cheer up her disappointed daughter. So at some point he told Pop to give them the biggest ice cream bowl he has with sprinkles and whipped cream and everything a broken heart desires. That's what got them talking.
Veronica and Eliza walked over to him to thank him and then they stayed for half an hour and talked. He was alone that day. He was supposed to meet Reggie but he canceled last minute.
Archie's heart was racing with Veronica next to him but of course he didn't tell her.
Veronica tells him every time that he doesn't have to pay but he knows that it is just a small inconvenience for him that makes both of them a little happier.

"Bro ask her out already. This is so upsetting to see" Reggie laughs and kicks his friend under the table to get his attention.

"I don't like her like that. She's my friend and besides that, she has a daughter"

"So?" Jughead asks "the girl's father is an ass. You did more for them than he ever did. I tell you, as sad as it is, Veronica will walk out of here in like half an hour with a crying little girl.

"Probably, yeah" he mumbles as he looks over to the two girls again. Eliza grabs Veronica's wrist and pulls up her sleeve so she can look at the watch.

"How much longer mommy?" the little girl groans.

"I don't know my love. Just eat your fries" Veronica smiles. She got a text from her Ex about five minutes ago saying that he won't make it this weekend because he has some work stuff to do before a business trip but Veronica is not ready to tell her daughter yet and make that beautiful smile disappears. She pulls the chocolate milkshake closer to her and takes a sip before she pushes it back in front of her daughter's little plate. The fries are almost gone.
As Pop walks by, Veronica gently reaches for his arm. "I'd like to pay Pop" she smiles but the man can see the pain in her eyes. He has been knowing Veronica for years. He knew her even before Eliza was born so he knows the girl's father as well and he knows what's going on.

"Archie already paid for you" he smiles and takes her hand into both of his.

"Oh really? Well that's nice. Thank you Pop"

The elderly man nods. "Is there anything else I can get you Veronica?"

Veronica shakes her head "thank you though"
She looks to her daughter who swings her legs back and forth and holds her head in her hands. Her elbows are on the counter.

"Sweetheart, let's go"

"But what about daddy?"

"He texted me. He won't make it today. He needs to finish some work stuff before he goes on a business trip tomorrow"

"Tomorrow?" Eliza gasps "but my play is on Wednesday. He said he would come!"

"I'm sorry baby" is all Veronica says. She's sick of defending her ex and she's more than sorry for her daughter.

"Okay fine" Eliza mumbles and climbs off the chair. This is nothing new. It still makes her upset but to ask her mom if they could wait a few minutes longer only brings more disappointment. She reaches for her mom's hand walks towards the exit but Veronica stops her.