Falling asleep under the night sky

It's 6pm when Archie walks one final round around the football field to make sure all gadgets are locked in the gym before he can finally go to the Pembrooke to spend his Friday evening with Veronica.
Veronica. A smile flashes over his face at the thought of her. He's so happy he won her back. Chad didn't deserve her. He hates this guy more than he can say but he doesn't need to worry about him anymore. Veronica is his and he will never let go of her again.

His train of thought is interrupted by a noise. He turns his head to the stands, where the noise was coming from and frowns when he discovers a strand of red hair under it.
He takes a few steps closer and leans down. "Britta?" he asks confused. "What in the world are you doing?"

The girl flinches and turns to look at Archie. She wears a winter jacket that's gigantic on her and is wrapped in a blanket. Next to her is a backpack. He can see some bottles of water and an apple in it.

"Nothing Sir"

"Do you want to sleep here?" Archie continues and ignores the girl's nervous statement.

"No"

"Don't lie to me Britta. Why do you want to sleep here?"

"I....I" she mumbles. Archie can see some tears in her eyes so he holds his hand out to her and smiles softly.

Britta sniffs. She wipes a tear away that escaped her eyes and places her hand in Archie's. She crawls out from unter the stands and gets up. Before the girl can even say something Archie softly places the back of his hand against her cheek.

"Are you cold?"

"A little" Britta mumbles, looking down to the floor.

"Let's get into my truck and talk. I mean only as long as you feel comfortable with that. We can talk here"

"No it's okay. I actually prefer a warm car right now" she smiles.

"Take all your stuff and follow me"

Britta nods. She grabs her backpack and another blanket before she follows Archie to his car. As he sits down on the drivers seat he already begins to ask the same question. "Britta would you please tell me why you wanted to sleep on the football field"

"I like falling asleep under the stars"

"And now the real reason please" Archie says "Tell me what's going on. Are you okay?"

Britta sighs. She closes her eyes for a second and fumbles with her fingers. When she opens her eyes again a tear rolls down her cheek. "I— I had a huge fight with my parents and ran away. They don't understand that I love to play football. I want to be part of the NFL one day but they say women can't play football. It's only for man"

"That's bullshit"

"I know!" Britta exclaims "I'm not very good in school and a football scholarship is my only way to get into college. I don't want to take over their stupid business. I want to play football. I want to be the first woman in the NFL"

"You have potential" Archie smiles.

"Thank you Mr. Andrews. It's nice to know that at least one person believes in me"

"Why- why did you want to sleep outside though? Why not stay at a friends house?"

"It's embarrassing. Plus I don't have many friends. The only place I would go to is my best friend's house but she's staying with her boyfriend for the weekend"

Archie bites the inside of his cheek. He takes a moment to make sure what he will say next is the right thing to say.

"Listen Britta, you can't sleep outside—"