Newsflash (N)

"Good morning, Mistress," Julia's voice greets me cheerfully, as I come within range.

"Good morning, Julia..." I start.
I've told them like a hundred times to not call me Mistress, but they still do it every single day anew.

Honestly, there's no helping these girls...but ah well, as long as it makes them happy, I guess I can bear it.

"You sound cheerful," I state.
She clearly wants to tell me something...why, I can vividly imagine her bouncing up and down, while she waits for me to ask her...which is kind of funny, considering that I don't even know what she looks like.

"I am, Mistress. Because I have good news for you!"
"Oh? Did your superiors approve of me coming in?"

Of course that's not it, but a silly guess is better than no guess at all.

"What...err...no. No, I don't think so."
"...then what is it?"

"It's about your boyfriend, Sirus."
"...he's a boy and he's my friend, but we're not an...what was the word...ah yes: 'item'."
"Are...you sure about that? Does he know that too?"
"He's the one who wanted it that way, actually...what happened?"

"...um...right. He refused to sleep with Mistress Eva. Pushed her away and fled! The entire colony is talking about it!"
"...'Mistress Eva'? Who's that? A human, judging by the name."
"Err, yes. Yes, of course. She's the leader of social affairs...kinda the leader of all women of the colony."

"So, the alpha female, huh? And...Sirus turned her down?"
"Yeah! Crazy, right?! I mean, just about any man in the entire colony would kill to get with her, but the one guy she actually wanted didn't want her!"
"...that stupid idiot..."

"But...that's great news for you, isn't it? It means that he..."
"It means, that he's a bloody idiot, that's what! Honestly, one should think, that he learned his lesson after the last time!"

"The...last time?"
"Never mind...so, you said that it was 'good news for me'...I don't see how. Because now, this alpha female will be far less willing to deal with him...or, even worse for me, come to the same conclusion as you did."
"And..."
"If she comes to the conclusion that he didn't sleep with her, because he loves me, this alpha might well get the idea, that the...distraction might need to disappear."

"That...that's a horrible idea! Mistress Eva would never...!"
"You'd be surprised, what people are capable of...I should probably get going, before they decide to give a shooting order to the guy with the rifle."

I turn around, as a thought crosses my mind.

"Julia, can you relay a message for me?"
"Yes, of course, Mistress."
"Tell Sirus, that he should forget about me. I'm a big girl. I'll be fine. Tell him, to go look for his happiness within those walls...that's probably the best for all people involved."

After that, I close the channel and start walking again.

I guess I won't be coming to visit this heap of metal in the near future anymore...

Good thing too, because all it's ever done thus far is bring me grief.