Rebirth (S)

I throw my clothes over my skin, barely noticing the cold and run out into the thawing snow.

It takes me a few moments to realize that I left without my shoes.
But I don't care.
I don't care about the cold that's running up my spine.
I don't care about the sharp stones pricking my feet.
I don't even care about the blood seeping out of the tiny wounds or the throbbing of my legs, who yell at me in protest, tell me to stop.

I just keep running.
Toward's Zero's resting place.

By the time I arrive in the vicinity, my body pulls the hard stop and refuses to obey the orders of my mind any longer.

I find myself falling, however I only realize it by the time my face hits the ground face first.

My lungs are burning.
My legs are aching.
Everything hurts.

I was reckless. Again.
Just because this is our home, I shouldn't be so very careless.

I grab the grassy ground beneath the snow, digging my fingernails into the frozen soil.

"Sirus!" I hear Nym yell out from somewhere in the distance.
Ah...right...she wanted to meet me here, didn't she?
...I'd better get up. Otherwise I'll never hear the end of it.
Probably too late for that already, but meh...

A large shadow suddenly passes overhead and I instinctively freeze.

Nym's steps also stop.
I guess she saw the same thing I did...but...what could it be?
I don't think I've ever seen that kind of shadow before.

I close my eyes briefly and calm my racing mind.
I need to stay rational now.
Playing dead has never helped any of the prey I've seen thus far.

I...I need to get up! Now!

I force my muscles to relax briefly before jumping up the best I can.
However by the time I get to my feet, a huge creature rushes into me, tearing me back down.

Before my eyes can adjust to the sudden shift, I can feel a hot and foul breath in my face from above.

That's it.
Game over.
I screwed up again and it's finally time for me to pay the price.
But I will not go down like a coward.

I force my eyes open and look the beast, which has me pinned down beneath its massive claws, straight into its face...but really, the only thing I'm seeing is its muzzle and way too many long and sharp teeth.

"Get away from him, you filthy beast!" I hear Nym shout and an arrow gets stuck right next to my head, making the creature raise its large head and growl at Nym.

Oh no, you don't!

I frantically look around.
There's my spear. My armor. Nym must have brought them.
She probably flung them my way, when she saw the thing incoming.

I try to reach out for my spear, when the growling stops and something wet, warm and rough suddenly brushes over the right side of my head.

What the...?

I look up again as the creature backs up, allowing me to move.

Wait a second...it couldn't be!

Nym prepares her bow for another shot, shaking violently.

Here goes nothing.

"Wait, Nym, don't shoot! Don't give it a reason to attack you! I...I don't think it is hostile."
"Have you even looked at the thing?! It's clearly carnivorous!"

I slowly pull myself back, monitoring the movements of the creature carefully, but it just sits there and watches me with big black eyes.

I rise to my feet and slowly step back, motioning Nym to lower her weapon.
I'm not looking at what she's actually doing, but she's probably too nervous to listen to me right now...but at least she didn't shoot again.