Heart of the Lion

My brothers, Shiro and Allura were standing around my sleeping form, the young boys worried as they stared at me. After I had collapsed, they took me to an empty room in the medical wing of the Garrison. There I had slept peacefully through the entire night.

"What happened? Why did she just collapse like that?" Ray asked, holding my hand in his.

"What was she doing before she collapsed?" Allura asked.

"She was using her powers to heal the critically injured." Kai answered.

Shiro nodded, "That explains it. She overused her abilities." He said, confusing my brothers.

"What?" They asked.

"This is has happened to Solaris before." Allura said, "When she overuses her abilities over fire, she becomes weak and coughs ash."

My brothers immediately looked over at me, worried and scared, "Is it dangerous? When will she wake up?" Kai asked.

"It depends on much of her power she used and how much ash she coughs up." Shiro asked, "How long and how many people did she heal?"

"She healed 25 men and women. All in critical condition." Ray explained. Shiro and Allura sighed in relief.

"She didn't cough up too much ash when she collapsed, so she should be waking up soon." Shiro said. Just as he said that, I groaned softly and twitched my fingers a little.

Everyone in the room stood at attention.

"Big sis, are you all right?" Ray and Kai asked at once.

Slowly, I opened my eyes, blinking away the pain when I saw the bright lights over my head.

I looked over to my right and saw my brothers, Shiro and Allura standing by my side, all smiling in relief that I was awake.

I smiled at the sight of my family and friends.

"I'm all right. Just a little stiff." I said, trying to sit up, failing to do so until my brothers helped me.

Once I was comfortably sitting up in the bed, a knock came at the door.

"Yes?" I asked whoever was at the door.

The door slid open, and I saw my mother, and the rest of the Paladins walk in, all smiling in relief.

"We heard the news." Pidge said as she rushed to my side with my mother.

"You always were the one to help people, no matter the cost you paid." My mother chuckled. I laughed back.

Keith walked to my side and placed his hand on my left shoulder. I looked up at him and saw his kind smile, with a hint of relief from fear.

"You really need to stop scaring us like that." He said. I chuckled, knowing that that would be one heck of a promise to keep.

"Sorry to worry you all." I said.

"It's all right." Hunk said, "In fact, if you're up to it, there's some more visitors here to see you."

I looked confused at Hunk as he stuck his thumb out to the door. I looked behind all my friends and family, only to be shocked when I saw more people walk slowly into my room.

Each person was in a Garrison medical uniform, some in wheelchairs, some on crutches and others standing tall and strong. They were the people I healed.

"Is something wrong?" I asked.

One woman, the wife of the first man I healed, walked up to me with her husband and son. The little boy smiled and handed me a small paper with a drawing.