The Last Stand Pt. 3

~~~Sam Holt POV~~~

The Galra had come. The war had finally arrived on Earth. The alarms blared loudly as the large Galra ships came into view.

"All personnel, proceed to your command stations immediately." A man shouted over the P.A. system.

I turned to the Fiammenta boys, "Let's get going." I said. They nodded and we ran to our stations. Everything was leaning towards chaos as the Galra ships began their attack.

The twins and I ran to the command center where most of the chaos was heading.

"Power the surface-to-air blasters." We heard Admiral Sanda order, "Dispatch the first wave of Garrison fighters. Prep the next wave immediately."

"Wait!" I said, grabbing the Admiral's attention, "We can't use the standard defenses."

"To do so would only cost us ammo and time." Ray said, his brother nodding in agreement.

"We're going to hit those aliens with hundreds of thousands of pounds of thermobaric missiles and finish then off with the best pilots the world has to offer."

"They don't stand a chance out there. We need to scramble the MFE fighters." I said, trying to reason with the Admiral.

"The pilots of the MFEs are just cadets."

"So are the pilots of Voltron."

"And one of those pilots of Voltron was never even a trained pilot." Kai said, talking about his sister.

Admiral Sanda didn't listen, "Launch base defenses according to protocol." She turned and ordered Commander Iverson, but the commander did nothing.

"Commander!"

Iverson looked up at the Admiral, "I know you have wartime authorization, but maybe we should listen to--"

"That's an order!" She interrupted him. "We can't risk the planet on untested military weaponry piloted by cadets."

Commander Iverson sighed, walked over to the control board and pressed a button.

"This is Commander Iverson. Initiate base defense protocol, Beta-Five." He said, "I repeat, initiate base defense protocol, Beta-Five."

"You heard the man. We're up." I heard Lieutenant Adam say through the speakers as the ships prepared to take flight. My fists trembled in anger at my warnings being ignored.

"You've just doomed those men and women." I said.

Admiral Sanda didn't even flinch. I and the twins watched from the command center as the thermobaric missiles were fired at the Galra ships. None of the shots made a dent in the ships' barriers.

One of the Galra ships fired back, destroying all of our missiles on the ground. The pilots who were launched fired their own missiles at one of the ships. The missiles thudded against the hard metal, and the ship they attacked turned their cannon towards our ships.

It fired and lucky for us, the pilots swerved and dodged the attack.

"Our weapons have no effect!" Adam shouted.

The Galra ship fired again at our pilots, this time, it was an open multi-firing.

"Evasive maneuvers!" One of the Male pilots shouted. And even though they tried to escape the blasts, one of the ships was blasted into scrap metal.

"Wildcat's gone. Titanic's not responding."

"I can't shake these thing. He's got me on target lock."