Monsters and Mana

The fog was thick, nothing could be seemed but the darkened figures running through the dense trees of the forest.

I held my blades tightly in my hands, my shoulders shaking from my panting breaths as I followed my comrades in haste.

Suddenly, we stopped when we heard the loud thumps of our pursuer. The ground shook with heavy thumps.

"Is it here?" I asked, but received no answer as our enemy jumped through the air and fell towards us.

"Get behind me!" Hunk shouted pushing us behind him and raising his staff, "Seal of protection!" A large circular green shield appeared in front of us and stopped our enemy in its tracks.

You're probably wondering who our enemy is. Well, he's an ogre with a large club as a weapon and yellow teeth dripping with drool onto his green skin.

The seal broke pushing the ogre away, but he was still powerful enough to stay on his feet.

"Hit it with your lightning bolt!" Pidge shouted.

"Lightning Bolt!" Hunk's staff began to glow so brightly that I closed my eyes to shield myself from the light. The staff powered up its attack and shot..... a puny little lightning bolt.

It flew over the ogre and crackled a little, electrifying his hair and making it frizzy. I sighed and turned around, ready to run as my friends began chuckling nervously.

In an instant, my friends were running ahead of me screaming as the ogre chased us even more angry than before.

"You call that a lightning bolt?!" Pidge shouted, "If you're the only remaining hope for your village, they're doomed."

"I'm a healer, not a fighter!" Our wizard, Hunk, replied. He was falling behind and panting heavily, then he lifted his staff and hopped onto it.

"Soaring staff!" He shouted, flying on his staff and grabbing Pidge. I was fast enough as it is so I was able to keep up with his speed.

But my body began to shake when I heard the ogre blow his ocarina. It played a soft melody.

"Oh, no. That's the song of eternal slumber." Pidge said, "Cast protection from sleep on yourself."

"Song of eternal slumber, Pidge? That's the--" Hunk yawned loudly, "How come you and Phoenix don't need it?"

"I'm a dwarf. Come on!" Pidge said.

"And I'm a sage! We aren't affected by weak measly spells like this!" I replied.

Suddenly, Hunk fell asleep and his broom turned the other way towards the ogre. The ogre stopped playing his tune and stretched his arm behind him to prepare for an attack.

But Pidge and I already had a plan in mind.

I looked over at Pidge and nodded. She nodded back, spun Hunk upside down and jumped off the staff. I ran around behind the ogre and helped Hunk land softly on the ground.

The ogre turned around and saw me helping a sleeping Hunk, but what he didn't see was Pidge high in the air descending towards him.

By the time the ogre turned around to face Pidge it was already too late. She used her axe and destroyed the ocarina around his neck. I shook Hunk awake now that the spell was broken and he woke up.

She fell to the ground but was immobilized by the ogre's axe.

He raised his fist high into the air and readied to hit her when all of a sudden, Hunk used his magic to wrap the ogre's fist and head together.

"Phoenix, now!" He shouted.

"Got it." I said. I ran up to the ogre, jumped up above him and landed on his fist. His eyes were full of tears, silently begging me not to end him. But he's the one who attacked us first ... soooo......