Fall of the Castle of Lions

The sounds of the warm breeze filled my ears as I played in the yard back home. I was playing with my pet dog, a gray, blue eyed pitbull named Elaine. She was my best friend and she was always there when I needed her.

Suddenly, my father walked out of the house with the biggest grin on his face.

"Phoenix!" He shouted excitedly, "Your mother's back with your new siblings!"

Without a second to waste, I ran with Elaine back to the house. I rushed inside and saw my mom sitting on the couch with two bundles of blue blankets in her arms.

She looked up at me with tired but happy eyes.

"Come here honey, meet your new baby brothers." She whispered. I tiptoed quietly over to my mother and the babies she held.

I smiled, staring at the two baby boys in my mothers arms. I will never forget every detail in their faces, the light cocoa color of their hair, or the sparkle in their green eyes.

I hovered my hand over the two, I'll admit that I was a little nervous to touch them, since mom and dad always told me that babies are fragile and small.

But just then, as my hand got closer to my brothers, their little hands shot up and grabbed my fingers. I gasped and looked down at their faces to see them smiling.

"They seem to know that you're their big sister." My mother laughed.

"As the big sister, Phoenix, it'll be your job to protect them as they grow up." My father said.

I nodded determinedly, "I will." I said.

"So, what are we gonna name them?" My father asked us.

"I don't know. We never did come up with names, now did we?" My mother said then looked down at me, "What do you think we should name them, Phoenix?"

I hummed in thought, "How about, Ray and Kai?" I suggested.

"Ray, as in a wise protector. And Kai as in a flame of courage. I think that suits them well." My father agreed.

I smiled, so did the newly named babies.

That was one of the happiest days of my life.

I opened my eyes, sighing as I recalled that happy memory. I clutched my mask in my hands, not knowing that small eyes were watching me.

The mice squeeked and scurried towards me on my bed.

I gasped in surprise, looking down at my sheets and spotting the four little mice.

I smiled faintly, "Well, you guys know what I look like now. What do you think?"

They squeeked happily, I imagined that that was a good response.

Suddenly, a knock came from my door, "Phoenix, can I come in?" It was Keith.

I quickly put on my mask and hid my hair in my hood, then went to open the door.

When I opened it, I saw Keith in full Paladin armor.

"What's up, Keith?" I asked.

He turned his head away, "Uh... The party's gonna start soon, you might want to hurry."

I chuckled, "Were you hoping to get a peek at my true face?" I teased.

His face turned to a bright shade of pink as he turned his back towards me.

"Shut up and let's get going!" He stuttered walking away to the ballroom.

I laughed quietly as I followed him.