Blood Duel

I couldn't stop staring at the screen in front of us. Zarkon had Commander Holt, but the Galran Emperor's face wasn't the only reason I was staring.

There was something strange about Sam Holt. He was still and his eyes were lifeless. Something didn't sit right with me.

"Bring me Lotor abd the prisoner is yours." Zarkon said, "Meet my demands if you want to see the Earthling alive."

With that final deal, the screen went black.

"He's alive! Our dad is alive! We have to get him back!" Pidge shouted already making up her mind on a decision.

Matt quickly agreed, "We're going to. What's the plan, Shiro?"

"We can't rush into anything." He said, "We have to think this through."

"What's to think through? It's my dad! We're doing this!" Pidge shouted back.

"We need to operate under the assumption that Zarkon will try to double cross us."

"We have Voltron! We can do anything!"

Matt looked down at his younger sister with worried eyes, "Pidge." He said, putting his hand on her shoulder.

"No!" Pidge shouted, violently shrugging off his helpful hand, "We can't let this opportunity slip away! We're too close! Our father is too close!"

I sighed and placed my hand on Pidge's shoulder. She looked up at me with slightly teary eyes filled with determination.

"I agree with Pidge." I said, "I'll go as well to provide backup with Agnimitra. Please, Shiro, let them go."

Shiro looked conflicted for a minute, but he sighed and agreed to the plan.

But before we could do anything, we needed to chat with our bargaining chip.

We all went down to the prison hold and spoke with Lotor about his father's deal.

When we were finished explaining, he sighed and stood stiff.

"My father has held the universe in a death grip for millennia, but he sees it slipping from his grasp because of your efforts and because of mine." Lotor said, "With our forces combined, we would provide the greatest threat Zarkon has ever faced. He knows we could topple his emprie, so this is his attempt to tear us apart. But United, we could forge a new path, open doors to new worlds and crush the tyrannical ways of an old regime."

"A regime you ran." Pidge said angrily, "We can't listen to him. He just wants to save his own skin."

"I understand your anger, Pidge." I said, "Believe me, I want nothing more to do with this creep, but, his flame is giving off a proud feeling. He knows what will happen to him if Zarkon were to get him back."

"What the girl says is true." Lotor said, "If you return me to my father, he would surely see to my demise. And with his most legitimate threat to the throne removed, he would only grow stronger."

"One less threat to Zarkon and one less threat to us." Pidge said with a nasty bite to her tone.

I had to agree with Pidge. If Lotor were out of the picture, we wouldn't have to worry about him turning against us.

However, if he were to stay, it's possible he could become an ally to our cause. But, I didn't want to believe that he was nothing but bad news.

Lotor looked away from us and turned to Allura.

"Your father, King Alfor, once stood side by side with Zarkon and protected the universe from harm. There was no for the paladins of old couldn't defeat."