Changing of the Guard

Weeks had passed since our fight with Zarkon. Even though we had won, there was still so much the Paladins had to do.

Planets that were still overrun by the Galra needed to be freed, and the lions needed to be the ones to save them.

However, there was still something missing within the team of Paladins.

Two people.

Two friends.

Two parts of their family.

Shiro, and me.

Keith flew around in the Red Lion trying to find him, if he was alive out there in space.

As he sat in his cockpit, Keith couldn't help but think back to the devastating day. When they found the Black Lion empty and me in the verge of death.

To this day I was still resting in the healing pod. No one knowing when I would wake up.

Keith stopped, not finding anything in the vicinity.

"There's nothin' out here, Coran." He said.

"I'm sorry, Keith." Coran replied.

"I'm comin' home." Keith turned around and flew back to the Castle as fast as he could.

When he landed, he changed into his casual wear and went straight to the infirmary.

Taking a deep breath, he walked through the doors and into the room, then straight to my pod.

My peaceful sleeping face seemed to be gaining color, but I was still showing no signs of waking up.

He placed his hand gently on the glass of my pod and sighed.

"Shiro's still missing, but I'll find him soon. And hope you'll wake up, too." He said. Everyday he would come and inform me about what was going on while I was asleep.

To be honest, I could hear him, but jusy barely.

"Pidge is really worried about you, ya know? I think you really bonded with her. She's trying to find a way to wake you up, when she's not taking in missions or looking to find her brother. We need you, Phoenix. More than ever."

Keith looked up at my face and smiled, pulling out the ring around his neck and staring at it with hope.

During the past few weeks, the red spark on the stone grew brighter, telling him that I was slowly getting better.

Just then, Keith turned around at the sound of the doors opening.

Standing in the doorway was Coran with the a sad expression on his face.

"Has she made a move yet?" He asked. Keith shook his head.

"No. She hasn't made a single sign of waking up." Keith looked back at me, "Coran, do you think she'll wake up anytime soon?"

Coran walked over to the pod, tapping it and pulling up data on her condition.

"According to this, she's perfectly healthy." He said, "Her body is at one hundred percent."

"Then why won't she wake up?"

Coran was silent for a moment, before sighing and turning towards Keith.

"Her body is fine, but this has something to do on a deeper level. Something in her mind I believe."

"So, she won't wake up until she sorts her mind out?" Keith asked.

"I'm afraid so, Keith."

Keith and Coran stood silently for a few minutes.

Coran put his hand on Keith's shoulder, grabbing the boy's attention.