The Last Stand Pt. 1

We were finally going home, and I was more excited than anyone. I had been away from Earth for twelve years and now... I would lay my eyes on the beautiful blue planet I missed so much.

However, amidst my excitement, there was a sense of fear in it. There was something in our solar system that didn't sit right with me.

"I'll see if I can get a message out to my dad." Pidge said opening up a communication frequency to Earth.

"Dad, it's me, Pidge. Do you copy?" She asked, "We're back in Earth's solar system, and heading home now."

Instead of a reply, there was only crackling static on the other end, at least only for a few short moments.

"To any beings who receive this message..." Sam's voice said.

"Dad, you're okay." Pidge exclaimed, "How's Mom and Matt? Is he with you?"

"Planet Earth has been..." Sam's voice continued making us stiff with terror, "Most of the citizens..."

"Hold on, let me try to get a clear signal." Pidge typed a few keys and the signal became clearer.

However, I wish none of us had to hear the news that was to come.

"...have been captuted."

"What?" Pidge asked, "Who's captured? Dad, what are you saying?"

"Those of us remaining are making our last stand. If you get this message, please get word to Voltron. We need help."

I was frantic, pressing buttons on my dashboard to get a better look at Earth. What I found made me tremble in fear.

The Galra were surrounding Earth.

"Guys, are you seeing this?" I asked as Sam's message continued.

"To any beings who receive this message.. Planet Earth has been overrun by the Galra."

"The Galra have invaded Earth." Lance said.

"Most of the citizens have been captured. Those of us remaining are making our last stand. If you get this message, please get word to Voltron. We need help."

"It's not a reply. It's a distress signal." Hunk said.

I let go of my controls and let my arms hang limps at my sides. We were too late. What happened?

~~~~~~~~~~~Four years earlier~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~Sam Holt POV~~~

I didn't know happened. Last thing I remembered was landing on Earth. When I opened my eyes, I found myself in an isolated room laying in a makeshift bed.

I lay there wondering what had happened to me. Soon, after a few minutes of wondering, the door to the room opened, revealing a familiar face.

"Admiral Sanda, how long have I--?" I asked.

"It's been about a week since you landed." She answered, "Sorry, we've had you under for most of the time."

My eyes widened. I had lost that much time.

"A week?" I repeated.

"We had to run tests. You spent years in an alien environment." She glanced away from me, "Look, Sam, the joint chiefs are eager to hear what you have to tell us."