Return of the Gladiator

After the others started training more and getting better at fighting Voltron, it seemed as though the universe was one step closer to being freed.

And I was one step closer to going home. I sat in the dining room, sharpening a few of my daggers while I waited for the others to be done with training.

I smiled thinking about the conversation I had with Pidge the other day. It was nice to know that Pidge was looking for family too.

"Great job training today, guys. We're really getting the hang of Voltron." I heard Shiro say as they walked into the room.

I turned in my seat and saw them arrive while still sharpening my daggers.

"Seriously, how far do you think my lion kicked that broken alien ship? Must've been like a mile!" Lance bragged.

"Yeah, that'll come in handy when the Galra challenges us to a soccer match." Keith replied annoyed

"Hey, I did something cool and you can't handle it. I get it." Lance said.

"If cool means completely idiotic then, yes, Keith can't handle your coolness." I said. I looked uo and saw Keith suppressing the urge to laugh.

I smiled at him, but then stopped and looked away as my cheeks became a little warm.

'I'm not getting sick am I?' I thought.

"That falling part was Hunk's fault." Lance blamed.

"Hey!" Hunk said.

"All right, save your energy for fighting Zarkon." Shiro said then turned towards me with a smile, "Phoenix, how'd your training go?"

I looked up from my work and smiled underneath my mask, "It was fine, wore down my daggers a little bit though."

Keith looked over at my neat pile of daggers, "How many daggars do you have?" He asked, getting a little too close.

"On me, or in my entire collection?" I asked calmly.

"Umm... on you?"

"About twenty or so."

His jaw, along with the others jaws, dropped as they looked at me with disbelief.

"What? I always need to be prepared." I said.

Just then, Coran came into the room with a silver tray, "Hello, guys!" He said enthusiastically, "How was the Voltron workout?"

"We're getting there." Shiro answered, "Are you and Allura almost done fixing the Castle so we can leave this planet? I feel like we're sitting ducks here on Arus."

"Just about. In the meantime, to get your minds off those duck seats you're worried about, I made you guys an authentic ancient paladin lunch!"

I cringed at what was under the silver top. We groaned at the sight of a pile of green and yellow slop.

"Thank you, Coran, but I just lost my appetite." I said, waving politely while trying not to puke.

"Coran, you just got me hooked on that goo and now you're switching it up?" Hunk asked.

"This is packed with nutrients." Coran said.

~~Keith POV~~

I thought I was going to puke right then and there at the sight of our lunch.

Hunk leaned over and took a sniff.

"Oh, it smells disgusting." He said.

"I know! That's how you know it's healthy!" Coran beamed.