The Last Stand Pt. 2

Commander Iverson led me and my wife Colleen to an elevator along with Admiral Sanda and a few of the joint chiefs.

"We've been studying the ship that Shiro crashed in for the last year, and we've begun research on the ship you arrived in." Iverson explained as we went further and further down.

"We thought the technology would be exactly the same, but that's not the case."

I looked down and saw the two ships. I recognized right away that one was one mine and the other was Galra.

"That's because one is Galran and the other, Altean, created by different alien species." I explained, "Do did you get it airborne?"

"Unfortunately, no." Iverson said, "We got the nav system and other instruments turned on by powering them externally, but the power it would take to fly then in unsustainable."

"Hmm." I hummed in thought, "The crystal must have been damaged on entry if you couldn't power it."

"Crystal?" Sanda asked.

"It's the main energy source for most alien spacecraft. If you haven't been able to get it running, then what have you been doing with it?"

"We created a simulator based on the controls so that when we figure out how to integrate the tech into our own ships, we'll be ready to fly." Admiral Sanda explained.

We stopped on floor level and the elevator door opened, revealing us to four young men and women in Garrison cadet uniforms, all of which saluting respectively.

"Commander Holt, I'd like to introduce you to the best pilots to come out of the Galaxy Garrison in the last year." Iverson said gesturing to the four young teens.

"These are officers Griffin, Rizavi, Kinkade, and Leifsdottir. They're young, but their ability to adapt to new flying techniques is a step above."

One of the boys, officer Griffin, put down his saluting hand and stepped closer to me.

"On behalf of my squadron, it's an honor to meet you, sir." The young man said.

"I've got them running drills in the simulator five days a week. They can take just about anything you can throw at them."

I smirked, "Good. Now it's time to get them out of the simulator and flying these things for real."

"But they aren't working, sir." Rizavi said.

"Then we better get them working." I said.

"Great, Kinkade, get the Fiammenta boys out here now." Iverson said.

"Yes, sir." The tall boy said and ran out of the room to find the boys.

I turned to Iverson confused, "Commander, aren't those boys pilots in training?"

"Yes, but they've spent their free time helping us figure out these machines. They didn't even celebrate their thirteenth birthday, they were so focused, like they had a mission."

Griffin scoffed, "Yeah, on a mission to find their 'sister' and 'dad' up there in space."

"And what's so funny about that, young man?" I asked.

"They've been telling this whole story about how their sister and dad were kidnapped by aliens and have been missing ever since they enrolled here. You should've heard them when the commander asked them why they joined "We're going to find our family up in space." What a load of crap."

"And how would you know if it's true or not?" A new voice asked. All of a turned around and saw officer Kinkade with two identical young men.

The two young men were identical in almost every way. They had brown hair, bright green eyes and lightly tanned skin. However, the only difference that let me tell the boys apart were the woven bracelets they wore around their left wrists.