Razor's Edge

It was supposed to be an easy mission. Kolivan gave me a mission to infiltrate a base, contact one of our spy's, destroy a weapon hidden by Warlord Ranvieg and get out.

The area surrounding the base was already under fire by two Galra commanders who wanted to take possession of the weapon being held in the base. It made things complicated with the battle fire and the conditions in which I had to sneak around.

However, it became even more complicated once I met our spy. Her name was Krolia, a Blade who was the commander of the base I was sent to infiltrate. We met and got into some trouble while trying to enter codes to secure the weapon. We were caught and Krolia surrendered the weapon for me.

One of the most surprising things was that she was able to use my Marmora blade. And the next thing... was even more shocking.

We were in an escape pod, flying around in space with no real destination in mind, when she told me.

"You're my mom? How? How did you get to Earth? How-- did you meet my dad? How-- how are you so sure?" I asked, panicked and confused.

"I'm sure." She answered calmly, but with a sense of sadness in her voice as well, "This isn't how I hoped to meet you again, and this isn't how I wanted to tell you, but it's the truth. We can talk about this later."

"What?" I asked. I finally meet my mother after all these years and she wants to talk about it later?

"You drop a bomb like this and tell me you'll explain later?"

"We've got more important things to deal with right now."

I just stared at her like she was crazy. She drops the fact that she's my mother on me and that's not important? I wanted to tell at her, make her tell me everything about how and why. But I cooled myself down.

"Fine." I reluctantly said.

"We're going after the enriched quintessence that created Ranveig's super weapon." She told me.

I looked back up at her with wide eyes.

"What? Kolivan and I have been searching for that same quintessence for a long time."

Krolia, or mom, looked down as she recalled things from the past.

"I was with Ranveig when an unmarked cargo ship passed into his region." She explained, "When we checked it out, there was no crew on board. The ship had been nearly torn to pieces, but inside, a single cat of quintessence remained. It was unlike any other quintessence we'd seen."

"Were there navigation records aboard." I asked.

"No, but I analyzed the ship personally. The radiation signature indicated it had passed through the quantum abyss."

"Quantum abyss? What's that?"

She pulled up a map on the ship's dashboard, showing me the location of the quantum abyss and its points.

"It's a part of the galaxy where dense neutron stars orbit even larger dark stars. In the quantum abyss, planets and other celestial bodies are being pulled and torn in different directions. It's a chaotic, ever-changing environment. And the presence if such massive objects has unusual effects on gravitational waves and space-time itself."

"And that's where we're heading?"

"Yes."

I sighed and sat down, taking in everything my mother told me. It would definitely be longer till I could see Phoenix and the others.

As I sat in one of the extra seats behind the pilot seat, I reached into one of my hidden pockets and pulled out the matching stone to the one I gave Phoenix.