Trials and Truth

I stood along side Shiro as the trials began. To say that I was scared would be an understatement. My heart was beating against my chest with terror and worry for Keith.

It confused me.

Why was I this scared for Keith? Was it because I knew what the trials would do to him? Or was it something more?

I clenched my fist so tightly that my nails dug into my palm, drawing small trails of blood.

"Phoenix, are you all right?" Shiro asked, noticing my shaking and bleeding fists.

I didn't look up from the fight, "No I'm not." I said gritting my teeth, "Keith made a bad choice. These trials almost killed me the first time. I don't want anyone to die today."

Keuth screamed and groaned as he fell to his knees but kept his knife held high in a fighting stance.

"Come on, Keith." Shiro pleaded.

The Marmora agent held Keith down, his sharp elongated blade held to his Keith's neck.

"Surrender the blade and the pain will cease." He said.

"I won't quit." Keith replied firmly.

"Then the pain continues." The agent let Keith stand and turned towards the door behind him.

"You are not meant to go through that door." But, with the way Keith was, he ran through the door and faced his next challenge.

This time, the number of opponents increased by one.

"This is not a fair fight!" Shiro exclaimed as the fight began.

"Nor is taking on the Galra, yet that is the fight we face." Kolivan said, "Solaris completed these trials without a blade such as ours. She nearly died and gained knowledge that she used to her advantage. If this boy is half as strong as her, then he will gain what he wants."

I looked down to the floor, thinking about my time during these trials, most about the end when I finished them.

The things I learned. The abilities I unlocked.

And the secrets from my past.

Keith creamed as he was hit once again, then kneed in the stomach, knocking the wind out of him.

The agents told him to surrender the blade again, or the pain would continue. But Keith wouldn't give up.

When they showed him the door to the next stage, Keith was greeted with multiple new opponents ready to fight.

They we're ready to kill.

Each door revealed more agents of Mamora to fight, and another tough battle to face.

"How long does this go on?" Shiro asked frustrated by the number of battles Keith had already fought.

"Sometimes the greatest challenge is knowing when to stop." Kolivan said.

"He'll never quit."

"One way or another, this will end."

"Knowledge or death. Right, Kolivan?" I asked. He nodded and continued to stare at a ragged, exhausted and injured Keith fight for the answers he desperately wanted.

"Phoenix, how did you complete these trials?" Shiro asked.

I sighed and crossed my arms across my chest.

"I was fighting for hours, just finding a way to defeat all the agents with my skills of close combat and agility. When, all of a sudden, I was surrounded in a bright light. I blacked out and when I woke up, the ground was burnt and the agents were all across the ground unconscious."