Chapt 45 - Ambush

After some time, Lan Zhan found it weird that Wei Ying hadn't returned. 'Is he playing around again?' Lan Zhan thought as he made his way back to the restaurant.

After looking in the restaurant, Lan Zhan couldn't find Wei Ying. Just then, the waiter beckoned him to one side and whispered to him about what he saw.

Lan Zhan immediately clenched his fist around BiChen and ran out of the restaurant, towards the direction Wei Ying was taken away in.

***

"Ahh!" Wei Ying shouted as a bucket of cold water was thrown on his face. Wei Ying woke up to see himself tied up with ropes and the leader grinning while holding two threatening looking whip.

 Wei Ying woke up to see himself tied up with ropes and the leader grinning while holding two threatening looking whip

<imagine Lan Zhan not there>

"Look who fell in my hands" The leader smirked as he whipped the ground. His disciples laughed with him.

The leader then went forward and whipped Wei Ying, making Wei Ying flinch. Having taken hits from ZiDian since young, Wei Ying the knew that this whip was also a powerful magical tool, though not as powerful as ZiDian.

"How was that? Hurts right?" The leader smirked, while passing both whips to two of his subordinates. The subordinates took it and stood in front and behind Wei Ying and started whipping him.

"I'll give you 400 hits before I'm satisfied. Ahh, if you can even last that long" The leader said, grinning from ear to ear.

***

Lan Zhan had been running around for quite some time in the forest but the forest was too big. As he ran further into the forest, he could hear Wei Ying screaming.

Lan Zhan ran the fastest he ever did. He arrived to see Wei Ying panting, his face pale, sweat dripping off his face and blood dripping to the ground.

"Wei Ying!" Lan Zhan shouted in shock. Lan Zhan could feel anger rising in him.

The leader ordered them to stop and unsheathed his sword, placing it against Wei Ying's neck. "Hah, look who's here! A hero trying to save the day?"

Seeing his sword against Wei Ying's neck, Lan Zhan calmed down a little and said "Release him."

"Are you stupid? Why would I? Unless... you take his spot?" The leader grinned.

"Don't" Wei Ying said weakly. Seeing Wei Ying like this made Lan Zhan feel helpless, as if someone was clenching his heart. "I will" Lan Zhan replied.

The disciples then tied up Lan Zhan like how Wei Ying was, before awaiting their leader's order. A disciple hurried to their leader's side and whispered in his ear.

"Ling Sect Leader, he is Lan Zhan from Gusu Lan Sect. He is famous for looking down on others." The disciple had taken lessons in Gusu before.

Hearing this, the leader immediately turned his attention to Lan Zhan. "I planned to whip him 400 times. There is still 50 left, prepare yourself."

"Don't... Lan Zhan" Wei Ying mumbled.

"It's fine" Lan Zhan replied, giving Wei Ying a reassuring look.

"No... Stop... " Wei Ying said, trying to stop them but they started whipping Lan Zhan.

Instead of whipping Lan Zhan's front and back like how they whipped Wei Ying, the leader ordered them to whip Lan Zhan's legs.

Wei Ying was so agitated he spat out blood, while struggling to break free. Every single hit hurt but seeing Wei Ying's worried face, Lan Zhan bit his lips and clenched his fist, refusing to make any sounds.

By the time it reached the 50th count, Lan Zhan had groaned quite a bit and felt his legs go numb. Wei Ying had tears streaming down his face, seeing Lan Zhan's white robe stained red.

The leader, feeling satisfied, then left with his men. The moment the both of them were let down, Wei Ying immediately scrambled to Lan Zhan's side.

"Lan Zhan..." Wei Ying said as he sobbed. He didn't want to drag Lan Zhan into this. He could have taken the hits. He didn't want to see Lan Zhan hurt. He felt bad and pain from seeing Lan Zhan in such condition.

Lan Zhan reached his hands out to hug Wei Ying, trying to assure Wei Ying that he was fine. "Can you stand?" Wei Ying asked. He himself couldn't stand properly but he tried helping Lan Zhan up.

Lan Zhan stumbled forward involuntarily. He clenched his fist. He didn't want Wei Ying to see him like that. Lan Zhan knew Wei Ying would feel bad and didn't want to show that he was injured.

Seeing this, Wei Ying indeed felt bad. Wei Ying scolded himself in his mind. 'Damn, how dare they do this to Lan Zhan! This is all my fault... How could I drag Lan Zhan into this and make him get injured'

Wei Ying knelt in front of Lan Zhan. "I'll carry you" Wei Ying said, reaching his hands behind to support Lan Zhan.

Lan Zhan immediately said "No. You're injured." Wei Ying was injured too. Lan Zhan definitely didn't want Wei Ying's injury to worsen.

"I'm not leaving you here. Just until we reach the city. I'll get help there." Wei Ying pleaded, trying to convince Lan Zhan.

Lan Zhan refused. "It's my fault. Please." Wei Ying said as his back started trembling, trying to control himself not to cry.

Never had Wei Ying made someone get injured for him. He had never faced this type of situation and hence, felt very guilty. Especially when the one injured was his lover, he felt guilt plus pain.

Lan Zhan didn't know what to do. He didn't want to worsen Wei Ying's injury yet he didn't want Wei Ying to cry or feel guilty. However, as he really couldn't walk, he hesitantly got on Wei Ying's back.

With much effort, Wei Ying stood up. Wei Ying stood there for a while, trying to make sure he got his balance. Then with each careful step that took quite a lot of effort, they slowly made their way out of the forest.

Halfway through, Lan Zhan couldn't bear seeing Wei Ying like this. "Put me down."

WWX: "No."

LWJ: "I can walk now."

WWX: "You shouldn't."

Wei Ying didn't give Lan Zhan space for negotiation and carried him back to the inn.