Chapt 10 - Fierce Corpse 2

The next morning, it was already 7am. Lan Zhan had already prepared himself and had been waiting for quite some time but Wei Ying still refused to wake up. Lan Zhan wanted to leave first but he couldn't due to the golden thread which Wei Ying made sure to cast every night in case Lan Zhan ran off while he was sleeping.

"Wake up" Lan Zhan said, shaking Wei Ying. He had been silent for some time but when he felt that it was really time to go, he shook Wei Ying and told him to wake up but to no avail. After a while, Lan Zhan gave up and sat by the table, meditating.

"Mmm" Wei Ying said as he woke up. It was already 12pm. He then saw Lan Zhan getting up and walking towards him. "Let's go now. Take this off."

Wei Ying got up and prepared himself before removing the cast. "Luckily I remembered to cast the Golden Thread. If not you would have left without me!" Lan Zhan just walked on ahead, towards the Qing Estate.

***

"Ahh! Young masters! You're finally here! Last night the fierce corpse managed to enter the main hall. I escaped through the back door and ran towards my bedroom." The owner explained in a hurry. "I think I really need the talismans! Please give them to me. I'll get it at any price I can!"

Wei Ying shook his head and said "Talismans aren't a problem but it is only a short-term thing. The fierce corpse's resentful energy will only grow stronger and by that time, the talisman will be of no use."

Lan Zhan listened to Wei Ying's nonsense, but didn't stop him as he knew Wei Ying had a plan.

The owner's face paled. He asked "Then... what should I do?"

WWX: "You must tell us honestly. How is the fierce corpse related to you?"

The owner's hands trembled while saying "I don't know him that well... He is my grandmother's servant and I only played with him when I was young."

LWJ: "Childhood friend."

WWX: "Then why do you not know him well?"

The owner quickly explained "After I grew up I didn't even see him often!"

WWX: "Hmm, then did you offend him in any way?"

The owner immediately shook his head "No, no, I never, I... I did once but it wasn't that serious!"

After seeing Wei Ying's questioned look, he continued "Two years ago, after my grandmother passed away, she left me a family heirloom, a jade pendant. He recognized that it belonged to my grandmother and asked if he could borrow it. I lent it to him without hesitation and only told him to return it to me in 2 days. However, the next day he told me that he lost it. Later that day I heard that he was a drunkard, so I thought that he sold it off and scolded him for it."

WWX: "Scolded him? How?"

LWJ: "Be honest."

The owner said softly, "I gave him a beating..."

Wei Ying said with his eyes widened "You didn't happen to be the one who broke his leg right?"

The owner got a little flustered and said "I'm not sure how heavy the beating was but he was one of our sevants so I intended to let him off after all!"

WWX: "But how did he die? How long ago was it?"

The owner replied "He fell off a cliff about 2 years ago."

WWX: "Why didn't you tell us earlier?"

The owner frowned and said "I thought talismans would be enough, not an old meaningless story."

WWX: "Oh, you're wrong. It's not an old meaningless story. Just imagine, if he didn't sell the jade pendant, it would be a wrongful death! If he died because his leg was injured and he slipped over the cliff, he might have blamed it on you too!"

The owner was left speechless. "Help me please..."

WWX: "It's fine, you still have your bedroom. We'll go back for now and come back tomorrow."

The owner said in shock "Will the door even last?!"

"It's fine. Your bedroom's door is stronger than the other doors. Besides, dealing with him tomorrow is better." With this, Wei Ying and Lan Zhan left and head back to the inn.