Chapter 3 - Sorting Hat

Start from the beginning

"His own child?" I said unable to believe in my ears.

"Yes. Ten years ago, just before his death, he killed his only daughter and her mother along with her. The wizarding world was devastated by her death," he said and drank some of his pumpkin juice.

"Why? Who was she?"

"She was one of the most celebrated women in magic history. Her name was Sophialine McGregory and she was the Ministry's Ambassadress. But she had done great things for us. She was asked to fill the Minister's place many times before she died. And believe me, she died very young. I think she was only 25 when that happened. My mother was talking about her all the time," he said.

This conversation left me numb for many hours after it stopped. My head was spinning with all these new thoughts and I must admit, that at that very first night in Hogwarts, I felt a bit lost. I left the Muggle world behind and entered a world of magic, yet both shared many qualities. In my first day, I had learned that racism and war didn't stop when I set foot on Hogwarts Express.

In a way, I thought that belonging to a minority should make people stronger, more united. Yet, now I realised that even wizards, people who were hunted and feared for centuries, did not know better than to single out muggleborns.

Oh, well, we have always lived alongside evil, haven't we? I promised to myself would leave these thoughts behind and have a fresh day tomorrow. Yet, as I was closing my eyes and hoped for the best, thoughts of separate houses and muggleborns and You Know Who and his evil deeds and lastly thoughts of Draco Malfoy, that sad boy, troubled me.

*     *     *

"There will be no foolish wand-waving in this class," professor Snape opened the door, not bothering closing it. "As such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion-making, how about for those select few." Okay... I suppose that that means "Hello" in his language. "I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory and even put a stopper in death. Then again maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of ability so unacceptable that you're confident enough to not. pay. attention!" he looked at Harry Potter who was writing something at his notebook. I was close enough to understand that he was actually writing whatever professor Snape was telling us, making notes. It's not fair...

"Mr Potter... Our new celebrity..." Everyone could tell that they didn't like each other... "Tell me what would I get if I added..." he stopped at the opening of the door. It was professor Sprout, the Herbology teacher.

"I'm sorry Professor Snape but I'm afraid that professor Dumbledore is expecting Miss Wallis at his office at once." Wait... me? Why? What have I done?

"Miss Wallis?" asked Snape, his searching eyes looking around, his shoulders raised for a second. "Who is that?"

I raised my hand but did not make a sound.

Coal-black eyes met my blue ones and suddenly, Professor Snape's cruel face was disarmed.

"You are Miss..." he waited for me to fill the rest of the name.

"Miss Wallis," I said with a nod. "Anne Wallis," I added.

"Anne Wallis?" he said as if he was not yet satisfied with my own name.

"Well, Annalise. But it's Anne for short," I said, not knowing why there was such an interrogation around my name.

"And a Ravenclaw?" whispered Snape critically, taking a look at my robes.

I shrugged my shoulders, not knowing what to answer to that. Was it suddenly bad that I was a Ravenclaw?

"Excuse me, Professor Snape, but it really is important that we see young Wallis in the Headmaster's office.

"Yes, yes, whatever," he said suddenly not paying attention. I had nothing but to stand up and get out of the classroom. Professor Sprout closed the door behind me.

"I'm sorry professor Sprout but have I done anything bad?"

"No, no dear. But it's important to go to Professor Dumbledore's office," she said and looked at me with sorrowful eyes. "I'm sure he'll tell you as long as you get there, sweetie," she answered.

I didn't say anything. The walk to Professor Dumbledore's office seemed to stretch on forever. Reading Professor Sprout's face was not fruitful either.

When I first walked into that office, I could have never thought that this room would hold all the memories of Albus that I would have. Even now, that these days have long gone, I have to think twice or thrice to remember a time when I would see him outside that office.

The room echoes the legends of the past and held the intrigue of the future. The walls were dark and covered with painting and lies. The smell of old varnish and expectations consumed me. But at the time I was only 11 years old and didn't know, nor care what fortune would push me back into that office.

"Oh, Professor Sprout! Thank you for bringing Anne here... You can go now."

And there, behind his desk, sat this shadow of a wizard. Dumbledore was old and grey and he may have greeted as in the Opening Ceremony, but when you were in such close proximity, you could easily get anxious.

"Any time, sir," she said and rushed out.

"I'm sorry sir but I don't understand why I am here," I said hastily watching the old wizard with the crooked nose walk slowly to me.

"Anne, I wanted to talk to you about something." I know... They made a mistake and I'm not a real witch. That's it, isn't it? They're going to send me back to London. "You know; life doesn't always come as we want."

"W-what?"

"I'm afraid there's been an accident, Anne. Your parents were in their car when... I'm sorry..."

 I remained quiet, trying to understand what he was talking about.

"No..." I muttered.

"It's true. That happened the day they were leaving the platform 9 and 3/4, two days ago. The funeral is this evening."

*     *     *

A few words from the Writer:

Don't get mad at me for putting her in Ravenclaw and keep reading. Just because she's in Ravenclaw that doesn't mean the story isn't interesting. Keep it original, man!

Oh, and I know many of you noticed that I changed Luna's age. I thought I'd mentioned this before but I got so many comments about it. I changed it just for the sake of the story. I wanted her to be friends with Anne since first year so I couldn't do otherwise. I know it's very frustrating when people change the original story and I'm the first one to agree with that, but sometimes you have to make do. Thanks for understanding!

*     *     *

Vote & Comment & Follow

💙💙💙💙