Chapter 3 - Sorting Hat

Start from the beginning

"Is being a muggleborn a bad thing?"

"Well, according to Slytherins... yes. For them, a muggleborn is less of a wizard."

"That means that I'm a mudblood?" I said and Jack turned to look at me rather regretfully.

"Anne, I'm sorry, I didn't know. Don't worry, no Ravenclaw cares about the blood status. What I think? Muggleborn or not, you are a witch, and as the sorting hat said, a wise and clever one."

"But I'm not the same as the others, am I? God, I thought I left my school to live with people who are just the same as me..."

"No, no, do not even think that. Hogwarts has many muggleborn students. You are not the only one, Anne. Don't feel bad about yourself. And if you want to know, I'm halfbood, half wizard and half Veela. Do you know what a Veela is? It's a powerful creature that lives in forests and mountains and we mostly are girls. Do you know what that means? I'm one of the only boys in a supernatural team full of girls, that's worse than being a muggleborn believe me!" He said these last ones faster to make me laugh a bit and I thought I didn't want to disappoint him, so I laughed.

"So, I guess you can know everything about someone's character only by looking at his tie. That is either too comfortable to think of or too depressing. But I guess you're right... I noticed this boy was rather rude while we were waiting for the sorting ceremony. And he was sorted in Slytherin," I said and tried to make it sound as an absentminded comment. In reality, I just wanted to know a bit more about that strange boy, Draco Malfoy.

"Who are you talking about?" asked Jack.

"About that boy, sitting over there," I said and discreetly pointed at the blond Slytherin.

"Oh..." he said and turned back to his plate without looking further. It seemed like he knew who he was and he didn't need more time to recognize him.

"Do you know him?" I asked impatiently as he didn't seem to willing to tell me more about him.

"I would never mistake that hair colour. It's just the same as his father's," he said, still avoiding to look up.

"Why? Who is his father?"

"He's called Lucius Malfoy. He is one of the most powerful men in the Ministry of Magic. Not to mention richer than everyone in this room put together. The Malfoys are known to be the ones to hold the purity of their blood. They don't want muggles in their family. Their bloodline is known to be the purest one, along with the Black family. Soon enough, the Malfoys and the Blacks united their houses. Draco's mother is called Narcissa Black. The thing is that both the Malfoys and the Blacks don't have the best reputation among the wizards. Lucius Malfoy was You Know Who's most loyal follower."

"You mean that dark wizard? Isn't that wizard dead?" I asked recalling all these things Luna had told me about the dark wizard with the strange name.

"Yes, he died ten years ago," answered Jack.

"And didn't his followers go to prison or something like that?"

"They did. Most of them. But those who had power managed to get themselves out, or in Malfoy's case, to never get in," he said and gave me a strange forced smile. I thought about it for a moment. There were so many things I wanted to ask.

"So what is that wizard's name, anyway?" I asked curiously.

"We don't say his name!" he said so I didn't push it further since I knew he wouldn't ever tell me. "He was the evilest wizard of our age. Some compare him the Grindewald, the wizard who almost destroyed the whole magic world, only a lot - lot - worse. His crimes threatened our nature. He claimed that magic should be used by those who are worth it. And soon enough he slipped to the darkest side. I'm telling you, he was so evil and his heart was so loveless that he even killed the only woman he loved and his own kid," he said raising his eyebrows.