Chapter 2 - Hogwarts

Start from the beginning

Yes, in fact, it didn't take my parents long to believe Professor McGonagall.

And now, after two months of realising how different I was, they were waving back at me as the train door was closing behind me. I took a good look at them, I remember. A long and straight one, knowing that I would wait until Christmas to see them again.

I walked through the corridors searching for a seat. Almost every place was already taken. Only one was free and that was next to a lonely girl with a book folded between her hands. Having a book in one's hands is always something that attracts me. When I see someone carrying one, I know that they are the same as I am. The girl was pure blond, with her hair loosely falling in delicate curls. She had this innocent look in her eyes.

"Hello, there..." she said with a dreamy gaze when I sat beside her. "My name is Luna. Luna Lovegood."

"Anne Wallis. Nice to meet you." We shook hands. "What are you reading?" I said and took a look at the purple look on her hands. It seemed tatty and old with a wizard's hat on it.

"Fifty Tales of Great Wizards," she answered. "It is basically shorts stories about the most famous wizards of all times... Merlin, Bagshot, Dumbledore..."

"I haven't read it. But I am fascinated with history."

"Is this your first year?" she asked.

"Scarily enough. It would be easier if I knew anything about magic. I mean, I read some books during the time that I've known I am a witch but nothing more than that. There is only so much that theory can teach you."

Luna and I continued chit-chatting. I felt like she was emitting contributing auras. I found her shy but also funny, kind but also crazy, absentminded but also smart. We never stopped talking. Her father was a wizard, too, and she had never met a world without magic so she wanted to know all about the "muggles" as she called them. At first, I didn't know what a "muggle" was. I tried to pick up clues whenever they were mentioned and I soon realised that this term referred to people who couldn't produce magic - practically everyone I ever knew up until some months ago.

It was a long ride to Hogwarts and turned a tad boring when the sky went dark and we couldn't admire the landscape outside. When we reached our destination, we were instructed to board small boats in the groups of three. The boats had no paddles yet they carried us to the open waters of the lake.

I fell in love with the castle that was waiting at the other side. Grand, majestic, an old soul's true home. There was no point in counting the towers - you would get lost in the complex architecture and the intricate style that it was built with. The wonders continued as we entered the castle.

It was the things that dreams were made of; gothic arches and fire-stands, heavy oak doors and stained-glass windows. This was to be my home for most of my teenage years and I was quickly getting comfortable in it.

"I am very interested to see in which house we'll be..." said Luna as we were walking up the stairs that were leading to the Great Hall. She had explained everything about the sorting during our ride, except for what each house stood for. "What do you think?" she asked.

"I have no idea. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the man that was making our trunks fly before we got into the boats," I answered.

Luna was about to answer when a cold voice interrupted.

"It's true then what they were saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts." At once the stairs were filled with whispers. 'Harry Potter..?' they were asking. 'Can it be?'.

"Hey, Luna, who is Harry Potter?" It sounded like I was the only one who didn't know who he was and I regretted asking when I felt some eyes staring at me.

"You don't know who Harry Potter is?" There was no doubt that he was a famous boy or something...

Luna explained quickly and quietly and I did try to keep up but soon I found myself distracted by the much louder voice that was coming from the top of the stairs.

"This is Crabbe and Goyle."

The first thing I noticed about him was his loneliness. I don't know why I knew this but I found it written all over his face. Then, his eyes. They had a cold grey colour with a blueish tone in them.

"And I'm Malfoy. Draco Malfoy," he said to a boy with glasses. He must be the famous Harry Potter. I couldn't hear what they were saying, I was far behind. The only thing I could tell that Draco was insulting Harry's red haired friend like he had done something wrong.

I looked deep into the boy's eyes. There was no need to think about it much, Draco Malfoy was a total bully. He had this grin in his look that you can easily find if you went for a walk at my old school's cafeteria. But I looked deeper in his eyes, and deeper, and deeper. My God, this boy couldn't get sadder, so much that he had the need to make others feel that way too.

"Hey Anne, can you hear me?" Luna asked.

"Sorry, Luna. What were you saying?" I said and came back from my daydreaming even though it was hard for me to take my eyes off Draco's.

"Harry Potter is the only person that survived by... You Know Who." She didn't help me at all with this answer.

"No, sorry. I don't know who," I answered.

Luna let out a sweet giggle. "No, no, no. That's the way we call him."

"Doesn't he have a name?"

"We don't say what his real name is," she whispered.

"Why not?" I asked.

"He is the darkest wizard in the whole world. No one survived, if someone crossed him. Harry Potter is the only one who did. He is the Boy Who Lived." The truth is that now I could recall some kids calling his name on the train in the background as Luna and I were walking deep into magical history.

"Oh, I really have to get a good modern history book in my hands... Harry Potter is our age. That must have happened about 10 years ago." It was true, I had spent a summer studying about potions, spells and magical creatures. I knew how wizards wrote, dressed, travelled and lived. Why didn't it occur to me to buy a book on the history of the magical world or at least Hogwarts?

The conversation left us with a lump on our throats as professor McGonagall was escorting us to the Great hall.

In the Great Hall, there were four long tables set, I supposed each of them represented each house. I could also see that on each table the students were wearing different tie colours. I could notice green, blue, red-orange and yellow ties. In the far end of the hall, I could see a long wooden table where the professors were sitting. Of course, the headmaster was sitting in the middle.

We walked through the middle corridor between the four house-tables. I also noticed that McGonagall was holding a parchment, probably with our names on it.

"When I call your name you will come forth, I shall place the sorting hat on your head and you will be sorted into your houses. Hermione Granger." McGonagall called the first name after unfolding the parchment. A girl with fussy, curly hair and a smart face came forth, a bit scared as I could tell, and sat on a stool. Professor McGonagall placed the hat on her head and... the hat spoke. Luna hadn't prepared me for this.

"Hm, right then, hm... Right, okay. Gryffindor!" it said. Hermione stood and approached the Gryffindor table. All the students were cheering and clapping. Did they know her? Maybe she already had friends there. Would anyone clap for me?

"Anne Wallis."

*     *     *

This chapter talks about Anne's first day in Hogwarts and of course, the first time she sees Draco! I hope you liked it, I was so nervous about grammar and all...

One thing I wanted to repeat is that English is not my mother tongue. So if I've done any mistakes then I would be grateful if you could comment. Be sure that I will correct it.

*     *     *

Vote & Comment & Follow

💙💙💙💙