The Picnic (Silize)

Elize Ryd and Simone Simons had planned to go on a picnic for their first date. However, when Elize woke up that morning, she saw the sky was rather cloudy, and wondered if it would rain. If it did, they would have to postpone their date, which Elize absolutely did not want to do. 

 She already had everything ready for a picnic, and Simone was supposed to come over later that morning so they could go out to their picnicking spot together. Elize spent a lot of that time going back and forth between what she was going to wear and whether or not she looked alright to worrying that bad weather would ruin the picnic. 

 To Elize's disappointment, she did soon see rain coming down. She looked at her watch. Simone was probably on her way over already, which meant she would get caught in the rain. But still, she was be coming over, and made Elize a little happy. 

 Soon, she heard someone pounding on her door. It was Simone, and she definitely looked like she had been caught in the rain. 

 "I definitely was not expecting this," she said as she entered the apartment. "I thought we weren't supposed to get any rain until this evening, but then there's that out there." 

 "Well, it looks like going outdoors is out of the question for today," said Elize. 

 "I know. I thought about it on my way here. But since I did make it here without getting completely drenched," Simone continued, "I think we ought to just have the picnic in here instead." 

 "An indoor picnic?" 

 "Yeah. I know it probably sounds a little weird, but it might save the date." 

 Elize smiled and shrugged. "Why not? We're both here, so we may as well do something fun." 

 Simone smiled. "See? That's the spirit." 

 So, they spread out a blanket on the living room floor and their late morning/early afternoon picnic there. Later on, both women would have said that it was picnic either of them had ever been on. It was more of a quiet, intimate setting, and even though they thought they knew each other pretty well by now, they learned a little more about each other that they didn't know and somehow wound up spending a while talking about their favorite foods. 

 Simone stuck around longer after they had finished the picnic, and she didn't leave until late afternoon. 

 "Since you had this picnic planned," she said to Elize, "Let me plan something for our next date. Maybe we can go out to dinner sometime this week." 

 Elize glanced out the window. "Well, it stopped raining a little while ago. Why don't we go for a walk now and go to dinner later? We're already making a whole day of this, so we may as well finish it off with dinner." 

 Simone smiled. "You know, I like the way you think. Let's go, then." 

 "I'm glad we decided to do this," Elize said as she looped her arm through Simone's. 

 "I'm glad we picked today," Simone replied. "It's been a great day." 

 Just before they left, Elize remembered to get her umbrella, just in case it rains again. Apparently, there are some times when you just can't predict it.