Haunted (Romone)

Inspired by the song 'The Haunting (Somewhere in Time)'

~~~~~~

 There was always something about her, he'd thought. There was something there that reminded him of his dead love. With her lyrical voice, her long red hair, it could have been her. But not quite.

 He stood by the window, looking down at the world, his heart cold. It had always been cold, ever since she was gone. He hadn't wanted to feel anything, and he'd gotten his wish.

 He didn't turn around when he heard the door creak open. He knew it was her, and he didn't want to see her.

 "What is it?" she asked, walking to the window.

 "It's...nothing," he said, even though they both knew he was lying. "I had to be alone."

 "Well, let me stay with you, then." She rested her head against his shoulder. When he felt her pressed against him, he immediately pulled away from her touch.

 "This can't be," he said, "You and I. I...can't."

 "Why not?" she asked, knowing what he meant. "Why couldn't we?"

 "You don't me," he said. "I'm too far gone. I can't start something anew with you now. I've become far too cold."

 "This is because of her, isn't it?" she spat. "You can't love me because you can't stop loving her."

 "Then leave," he said sharply, "Before it's too late for you."

 He turned back to the window, and waited. She didn't leave too quickly, but hesitated, and he knew she was waiting to see if he would say anything else. When he said nothing, she left. 

 From the window, he could see her walking down the pathway, away from the house, away from him. He sighed and pressed his forehead against the window.

 What had he done?

~~~~~~ 

 When Roy Khan met Simone Simons, he knew he had seen her somewhere before.

 Epica was a rising band on the metal scene, so of course he had already heard the band's name and hers.

 But that wasn't it. He knew they had never met before, but it felt like they had.

 While recording parts of one of the band's new songs with Simone, Roy began to get a strange feeling while singing and looking at her. He felt like he had been through something like this before, years ago, and she had been there with him. He could see it all: a man by the window, filled with a sorrow, a woman with red hair, a dead woman...

 "Roy?"

 Roy looked up, and realized Simone had been staring at him.

 "Um, are you okay?" she asked.

 "Yes," he said, "I think so. Let's continue, shall we?"