Never Alone (Fluomas)

It was New Year's Eve, and of course most people were out partying, and filled with excitement. Tuomas Holopainen, however, was not one of those people.

 He had been invited to a party by a friend, but he wasn't really doing much in the way of celebrating. Seeing everyone else in pairs or in groups dancing and chatting made him feel even more depressed about being there by himself.

 So, while he was sitting there being all sorry for himself, he got a bit a shock when he heard a voice whisper, "Hey, Tuomas."

 It was Floor, standing right next to him. With all the noise in the room, he hadn't heard her come up to him. He hadn't even known she was there at the party at all.

 "Hi, Floor," he said. "Did you get invited, too?"

 "Well, yeah, I wouldn't be here if I didn't. Are you okay? You look kind of...I don't know-"

 "Depressed?" he suggested.

 She nodded. "Yeah, depressed. You're not excited for the new year to get here already? We had a good year this year, didn't we? There's a good chance we're going to have another good one."

 He shrugged. "Yeah, I guess so."

 "Hey, do you want to go outside for a minute?" she asked. "It kind of loud in here."

 He nodded, and followed her to the front door.

 When they were outside, Floor asked, "So, what's up with you? You were a little happier the last time I saw you. Are you here by yourself?"

 "Yeah, I am. Are you?"

 She nodded. "Yeah. Hannes and I had a fight, and I don't really feel like talking to him right now."

 "Really? You and Hannes, sweet little that you are, had that big a fight?"

 "Hey, don't push it, I'm being to nice to you here. He and I will straighten things out tomorrow, when I feel like talking to him again. Now, back to you."

 "Well, what do you want me to say?" Tuomas asked. "Yeah, I'm alone and depressed at a New Year's party. I doubt I'm the only person who's ever been alone and depressed at a New Year's party. I've felt...kind of lonely."

 "Tuomas," Floor placed her hand gently on his cheek, "You're not alone. I'm here, aren't I? As long as I'm here, you don't have to be alone."

 She leaned closer, and he let her kiss him on the lips. It was the middle of the night and freezing, but neither of them really noticed.

 Floor looked at her watch. "Perfect timing, too. A kiss at midnight. Happy New Year, Tuomas." She took his hand. "Let's go inside.

 He nodded, and let her hold onto his hand. "I thought you and Hannes were going to sort things out tomorrow because you're mad at him tonight."

 "Oh. Yeah. Well, I'll figure that out later, when I'm not standing out in the cold."

 Realizing just how cold it was, they hurried back inside.