Concentration (Marcuomas)

Work on Nightwish's newest album was underway, and things were going well.

 That was what Tuomas Holopainen and Marco Hietala thought before the writing process actually started.

 Tuomas usually did most of the writing himself, but this time around Marco was helping out more. It really made Marco feel more like they were working together.

 He had been plucking out a few little tunes on various guitars, trying to get a good sound. While he was doing so, he found himself constantly glancing over at Tuomas. The dark-haired musician was sitting with his keyboard, unpredictably playing notes on the keyboard one minute and then fervently writing things down the next.

 "You all right over there?" Marco asked at one point.

 "Fine," Tuomas said absently.

 "All right. What do you think of this?" Marco played a few chords on the guitar. 

 "Mm-hmm." Tuomas just nodded without even bothering to look at him. "Great."

 "Were you even listening?" Marco asked.

 "Of course."

 Marco sighed and put the guitar. "Are you always like this when you're trying to write and I just never realized it?"

 Tuomas put down his pen and looked up at him. "I need to concentrate on this, Marco. The fans are waiting for this album, and they expect something new and fresh. I don't want to write anything people will think is bad."

 "What are you working on over there, then?"

 "The title song. I wanna call it 'Endless Forms Most Beautiful'. I've had some trouble finding the right words and the right keys."

 "Then let me help you out," Marco said. "And with the other songs, too. I've written music before. Oh, come on, Tuomas, let me do something."

 Tuomas hesitated before saying, "Okay. I'm working on some other music, too. We can go through it together when I'm done with this one."

 "Sounds like a plan."

 They spent the rest of the afternoon trying out new sounds, one sometimes asking the other if what they were playing sounded good. Marco found himself still constantly staring at Tuomas, and he thought he saw his bandmate glancing at him a few times as well.

 It certainly was not the least awkward conversation they had ever had.