The Birthday Song (Azzy)

Lzzy Hale never wanted to make too big a deal out of her birthday, though she did secretly like celebrating a little.

 She had woken up that morning to her phone ringing, and mumbled a 'Hello?' without bothering to look at who was calling. She didn't need to check who was calling, however, because when she heard a sweet voice singing 'Happy Birthday' on the other end of the line, she knew exactly who it was.

 "Amy Lee," she said. "You know I don't like making a big deal out of my birthday, but you still called to sing me a song."

 "Of course I did," Amy replied. "Happy Birthday, Lzzy. I was wondering, can you come see me later? I have another song for you."

 "Really? No over-the-phone for this one?"

 "No. I'd rather play it for you in person. I just...want to see what you think."

 "Okay." Lzzy looked at the time. "Uh, I can come over in the afternoon. I'll see you then."

 Lzzy then went on to spend the rest of the morning constantly thinking about Amy. It had only be a few months since they began dating, but Amy was so kind and loving that Lzzy was pretty sure she was in love, even if it had only been a short time.

 The afternoon eventually came around, and Lzzy got to Amy's as quickly as she could. Amy greeted her with a smile and a kiss, and led her to the living room.

 "So, this song," Lzzy said as Amy sat down at the piano.

 "I have it here," Amy said, pulling out a few music sheets. "This is my birthday gift to you."

 Lzzy sat down on the sofa and listened and as Amy began to play. The notes started off in a sad tune, but then Amy began to sing about a woman who sounded familiar to Lzzy, like she knew someone like that. It was a beautiful song about love, and a little less mournful than her songs usually were.

 When Amy played the last notes, Lzzy realized she had tears in her eyes.

 "Is it me?" she asked. "The woman in the song?"

 Amy nodded. "I wanted to write a song about a beautiful, courageous woman, like you."

 Lzzy got up from the sofa, went over the piano, and wrapped her arms around her girlfriend.

 "Thank you," she said. "I love it. This could easily be Evanescence's next hit."

 "No." Amy shook her head. "It's your song, Lzzy, and I meant it to be just for you." She handed her the music sheets. "Here, so you can learn to play it yourself. And if you do, promise you'll think of me when you play it."

 Lzzy nodded, tears still forming. "How could I not?"