The Questioning (Nilize)

Olof had not been expecting Nils to ask him for any kind of dating advice. However, that was exactly what happened. 

 It was early evening, and Amaranthe was preparing for a concert that night. Olof was backstage, checking his guitar to make sure it was in tune. He heard, "Hey, Olof?" 

 Olof looked up. It was Nils, and he had a look of uncertainty on his face. 

 "What's up?" he asked, having no idea what could be going on. "Something's not wrong, is there?" 

 "No, I think we're all ready for the concert," Nils answered. "This isn't anything to do with the show, anyway. I...I wanted to ask you...about Elize."

 "Oh. Uh, okay. What about Elize?" 

 "Well, you guys have been friends for a while, right? And you're obviously pretty good friends. I mean, you've been doing a lot of songwriting together and you work together pretty well." 

 Olof nodded, not quite sure where this conversation was going. 

 "Yeah, we are good friends," he said. "And I guess we do work together pretty well, now that I think about it. Look, you look nervous about something. Is something going on that I should know about?" 

 "No, nothing's 'going on'," said Nils. "I was just wondering...do you know if Elize is dating anyone?" 

 Olof suddenly realized what this interrogation was all about. "All right, I get it now," he said. "Far as I know, she's single. If she was going out with someone, I think she would have said something about it. And if you thought she was dating me, the answer's no." 

 Nils suddenly looked hopeful. "You're sure?" 

 "Yes, Nils, I'm sure. Now, look, there is something I should probably tell you, and don't tell Elize I told you about this." Olof lowered his voice. "She was in a relationship with Jake for a while, and they were really serious about each other. They had a bad breakup, and then Jake left the band." 

 Nils looked surprised. "I didn't know about that." 

 "That's because we don't talk about it anymore, and I doubt Elize wants to discuss it. I don't even know if she's over him yet." 

 "So, what are you saying?" 

 Olof sighed. "That if you try to ask her out, proceed with a little caution. We don't need any more relationship drama around here."

 "Hey, guys." Elize walked up to them. "Show's starting soon. You both ready?" 

 "Yeah. I'm gonna make sure everything's ready and all that." Olof got up and left, thinking it might be good to leave Elize and Nils alone for a few minutes. 

 He hoped that if Nils and Elize did start dating, it would work out for them. They really didn't need anymore relationship drama.