The Invitation (Tarjette)

Anette Olzon nervously walked into the restaurant. She spotted Tarja Turunen across the room, already waiting at a table. They had already talked over the phone, but talking in person was a different matter entirely.

 "Hello, Ms. Turunen," Anette said. "It's...nice to see you in person."

 Tarja smiled. "It's nice to see you in person, too. Please, call me Tarja. Come, sit down. How's you solo work coming?"

 "Good, actually," Anette replied, glad to talk about something they had in common. "I'm putting out an album soon. It's not the same as the music I sang when I was in Nightwish, but I hope people will like it."

 "Ah. I was nervous about putting out solo music, too. But it's the music I love, and I love to share it with people."

 "Um, that was what you wanted to talk about, wasn't it?" Anette asked. "Our music?" 

 "Mm-hmm." Tarja nodded. "A collaboration. I told you, I thought maybe we could do something together. For my next album."

 "I remember. And that does sound great, but didn't you just recently put out a new album? Are you working on another one already?"

 Tarja smiled. "It's never too early to start working on new music. I haven't kept up with Nightwish, but I heard you singing on the radio once or twice, and I know the guys would not pick someone without talent. I think we could do something good. What do you think?"

 "I think it's wonderful," Anette said, "I really do. But do you really want to do a collaboration with me? I mean, I was your replacement after you were kicked out of Nightwish. I didn't think you would want to perform with me."

 "Well, I can understand why you would think that," Tarja said. "But neither of us are in Nightwish anymore. We don't have to worry about them. We're both free solo artists, and we can sing with whoever we want. No one's really going to care. People might actually like it."

 Anette smiled, realizing Tarja was right. "Yes. Yes, okay, then."

 "So, you'll do it?"

 "Yes, I'll do it!"

 "Oh, that's wonderful," Tarja said, squeezing her hand. "It will turn out good, I promise."

 Anette squeezed her hand back. "I hope so."