The Proposal (Eluomas)

Tuomas Holopainen planned to propose to Elize Ryd. He had been planning to do so for a while, but wondered if it was too soon. There were many other couples who were in relationships much longer before actually getting married, he knew, but he didn't want to wait any longer. He wanted to propose to Elize and would hope she'd say yes. 

 The idea was to invite Elize over to his house for dinner. He wasn't much of a chef, but he could certainly make them a decent meal. They would have a nice evening together, and after dinner Tuomas would propose, and he would know then whether or not Elize would be willing to become his wife. 

 Before Elize arrived, Tuomas hid the ring box in a kitchen drawer. It would be perfectly safe in there, he thought, and he would retrieve it later when the time came to propose. 

 When Elize arrived, they greeted each other with smiles and a kiss, and Elize followed him into the kitchen. 

 "I hope you're not underestimating yourself too much," she said. "You're not a bad cook, you know." 

 Tuomas didn't reply, but he smiled. It couldn't hurt that she didn't think his cooking was bad. Between the two of them, they could probably make plenty of good dinners together. 

 "I think everything's done," he said. "I've already set the table." 

 "Aw, it's nice to see you did so much preparing ahead of time. Here, you must need another spoon for that." 

 Tuomas heard Elize opening one of the kitchen drawers, but didn't notice which drawer she had opened. He paused when he thought he heard what sounded like a gasp. 

 Elize had opened the door he had placed the ring box in earlier. Now she picked up and held it in her hands, slowly prying it open. 

 "Um, I...I meant for that be a surprise, for later," Tuomas said, thinking of pretty much nothing else to say. 

 Elize smiled, and then she ran over to him and threw her arms around him. "Yes. Of course I will." She kissed him, and then stared down at the ring. "I think you should put it on." 

 Holding out her hand, Elize watched as Tuomas slid the ring onto the her finger. Elize kissed him again. This was obviously not what he had planned for his proposal, but no matter what he had in mind, she would have said yes.