Happier Together (Jandahl)

A sequel to 'Thieves of the Forest' and 'Watching and Waiting'

~~~~~~

 It took a little time, but Floor Jansen and Hannes van der Dahl would soon realize something about each other; they were happier together, with each other.

 Neither one of them was quite sure how it happened, but somehow it did. It started that first day they met on the road, when Hannes refused to give up that ring. He was the first person her gang had tried to rob that Floor had found herself beginning to respect. The ring probably wouldn't have been worth much, anyway, but it was Hannes himself she became interested in after that.

 Hannes, meanwhile, was equally interested in Floor Jansen. He wanted to know more about her, where she came from, the way she led her life. Of course, the forest thieves were all unfortunate souls whom had turned that way of life with hardly any other choice. Though they got by well enough, Hannes wondered if they ever wanted more, a better life than that.

 Soon, Hannes took to leaving the family house at night to go out to the forest with Floor Jansen. At that point, they were still a little wary of each other (the forest thieves could have killed him or Hannes could have turned them in), but they soon found they were happy in each other's company, happier than they thought they would be.

 After spending so much happy time together in Floor's company, Hannes would look around at his home and his life, and see just how dull and artificial everything was. Yes, Floor and her gang were technically criminals, but they never hid their feelings and were brave and reckless. That was the kind of life Hannes realized he wanted, not the one he grew up in.

 By the time Hannes decided to leave, he and Floor were already very in love. The rest of the gang had always been a little suspicious of him, but when he went to join them for good, they all realized he was serious and welcomed him. But no one was happier than Floor when Hannes was initiated.

 Floor and Hannes became basically inseparable. She made sure he knew everything there was to know about the lives they led out in the forest so he be safe and knew what to do if he ever got into trouble. And his influence showed, too: Floor would give out alms to the poor in the nearby villages if she had any money to give, but it seemed that donations to the poor had certainly increased since Hannes joined, a sign that he would never be entirely comfortable with being a thief and that giving some of what they stole to poor people who needed it made him feel better.

 The two lovers knew they were happier together, so they decided they really ought to just stay that way from now on.