Ten Long Years (Tuorja)

Based on the song 'Over the Hills and Far Away'

~~~~~~

 Tuomas was not expecting it when they came for him. Why they had come to arrest him, he hadn't known; he'd done nothing wrong. 

 Soon enough, he realized he'd been framed. He'd never robbed anyone in his life, whether or not his pistol was found at the scene. Someone must have taken his pistol, and used it to frame him. But who? He had no idea.

 There was no way out of this for him. He had no alibi for himself, no way to account for his whereabouts at the time of the robbery. Because what he was doing that night, where he really had been, must be kept secret.

 He was found guilty.

~~~~~~

 Tuomas looked through the little barred window to the outside world. It had only been a month, and he already couldn't take it. The thought of being imprisoned here for ten years frightened him, and filled him with dread. How was he expected to survive ten years? Maybe they expected him to die before then, he thought.

 There was only one thought that kept him from losing his mind: Tarja. The wife of his best friend, she was the reason he could not reveal his alibi. She was the alibi, and that truth could never be revealed, not to anyone. They had never let anyone know of their secret love, and still never would.

 It was the thought of being able to go back to Tarja once his ten years were up that kept Tuomas sane. He knew that somewhere, over the hills and far away, she was thinking about him. Perhaps she was mourning the loss of him. Would she still be there, waiting for him? 

 Tuomas had no idea if she would be waiting for him, but for ten years, he would count the days until he could once again find himself in her arms.