Wedding Troubles (Elissa)

Alissa woke early in the morning, when the sky was just beginning to lighten. She had had such a hard time falling asleep, probably because of nerves or excitement. But she tried her best, and eventually got some sleep.

 Alissa knew there was no point in trying to fall asleep again, so she got up for some breakfast and to get ready for the day. She would have spent the night with Elize, but her soon-to-be wife believed that old story about it being bad luck for the bride and groom to spend the night before the wedding together, although Alissa couldn't see why, since there technically was no groom.

 But Alissa didn't mind following any old traditions if it made Elize happy. And it didn't really if they didn't see each other first thing in the morning, because they would be seeing each other later for their wedding.

~~~~~~

 By now the church was filled with the family and friends Alissa and Elize had invited. Alissa had taken the time to greet people and thank them for coming.

 When it was getting close to the time the wedding was supposed to start, Alissa had no idea if Elize was ready. She hoped Elize would be ready to walk down the aisle like she had been so excited to do, but when the time finally came for the wedding to begin, there was no sign of her.

 Alissa was worried something had happened to Elize, that something was wrong. Something had to be wrong for Elize to not be ready on time. With that thought, Alissa went looking for the missing bride herself.

 It turned out that Elize was already at the church, locked away in one of the rooms. Alissa shooed away the bridesmaids so they could talk in private. She knocked on the door and said, "Hey, Elize? Can I come in?"

 "You can't," she heard. "It's bad luck to-" There was a pause, and a rustling of skirts. Then the door opened, and Elize stood there in her wedding dress.

 "It's so silly, isn't it?" she asked. "The old saying is that it's bad luck for the bride and groom to see each other before the wedding, but there is no groom. There's two brides instead."

 Alissa smiled. "You look beautiful." She gave her a kiss on the cheek. "What's going on?"

 "My dress, to start with," Elize said. "It was fine when I first tried it on, but now it feels too tight. I think it might be too long, too. And I think I've got a cold; I've been sneezing, and my throat's a little sore."

 "Are you sure?" Alissa asked. "You don't seem sick, and the dress looks fine."

 Elize sighed. "I don't know. I just don't feel right, Alissa."

 "Well, if it's just nervousness, that's okay. I could barely sleep last night, so I'll probably be exhausted within the next few hours. And you know getting married is a pretty big step, so it can make you nervous."

 Elize chuckled. "We're just a mess, aren't we?"

 "We certainly are. Elize, if you don't want to get married today, we don't have to. We can always put it off for another day."

 "No." Elize shook her head. "We've been planning this and looking forward to this. Whether I have a cold coming on or not, I want to get married today."

 Alissa smiled and held out her hand. "Let's do it, then."