Seonghwa - Sound Part 2

Start from the beginning

'I guess I can't blame you.'

"Would... Would you like to go get a coffee with me?"

Amy nodded quickly.

They walked to one of the local coffee shops and Seonghwa ordered a tea for himself and a coffee for Amy, making sure to pay before she could finish opening her wallet. After seating themselves in a corner, he bit his lip and said, "Can I ask you about it?"

She nodded.

"What's it like? Knowing you can't hear anything? Is it something that can be fixed?" He waited patiently while she wrote everything down.

'To me, it's how my life has always been. It's normal. It hurts sometimes, knowing I can't enjoy things like music and bird calls and voices. I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel broken sometimes. It's not something that can be fixed. Some people can get a cochlear implant, but that is generally done at a young age. My parents can't afford it anyway. So we all learned sign language so we could communicate. Over the years I worked on reading lips.'

Seonghwa still couldn't fully believe it. He felt his chest tighten when he read she felt broken. He instantly reached out and took her hand in his.

"I don't think you're broken." He said. He saw her blush at the words. "In fact, I admire you. I can't even imagine not... I think it's incredible that you have lived with it like this and not let people get you down. I'm sure it's hard sometimes. I feel like such an idiot when I think back to how I got upset that you wouldn't talk to me."

'You didn't know.'

"But still. I'm not usually that quick to get upset or judge, there was just something about you." He felt his face get hot as he looked at her green eyes. "Come with me." He said, quickly pulling her out of the coffee shop.

They had completely forgotten about their classes as they sped to the studio.

.

.

.

.

Amy smiled at herself as she stared at the back of his head. She was so touched that he had learned to sign his name for her overnight. Seonghwa. It fit him perfectly.

When they reached the studio, she watched him pull his phone out and call someone.

No more than five minutes later, one of his friends came in with a questioning look on his face. "Oh, hi Amy." He said.

She waved at him then turned to Seonghwa.

H-O-N-G-J-O-O-N-G

He signed slow, having to concentrate to remember the letters, but it made Amy even happier as he put the effort into it.

She saw Hongjoong tilt his head a little, then Seonghwa turned to him. She assumed he was telling his friend about her because the smaller's jaw dropped as he turned back to Amy.

Seonghwa quickly went over and started pulling something up on the laptop, then hooked it into the sound system.

When he was finished, he took Amy's hand in his and led her to one of the speakers, placing it flat against the surface.

She closed her eyes when the vibrations started. She had experienced music this way before, often listening to music full blast with headphones on. Even if she couldn't hear the sound, she could still feel the beat of the song and make out the rhythm.

Her heart skipped a beat at the thought that Seonghwa had come up with this idea on his own.

When the song slowed a little, she felt him tap her shoulder then watched as he placed his palm against his chest again. This was his part. She pressed her hand harder to the stereo, feeling his music flow through her.

It was perfect.

.

.

.

.

As the next few weeks went by, Amy slowly taught Seonghwa more signs. He was getting good enough that they could hold conversations with each other, even if they were simple sentences.

He did his best to research others when he was home at night. Hongjoong constantly teased him about it, but even he was picking up on a few signs.

Amy had become a constant presence during their rehearsals. She would lean against the speakers as they practiced, keeping her eyes closed.

Seonghwa loved the look that crossed her face as she felt their music, and her smile would grow even wider when his parts came on.

She even introduced him to her parents. They just about cried when he introduced himself in sign and went on and on about how happy they were that their daughter had found such a nice boy like him. Amy had gotten visibly embarrassed, but it only influenced him to ask her something that night when they were alone after a family dinner.

WILL-YOU-BE-MY-GIRLFRIEND?

Amy threw herself into his arms, nodding her head furiously.

Seonghwa couldn't remember a time he had ever been happier.

He wasn't sure how it happened...

But somehow, the boy who loved music had fallen in love with the girl who couldn't hear sound.