Seonghwa - Sound Part 2

Seonghwa read the words several times, still trying to process everything. But it all made sense now. Why she wouldn't talk to him, why she would stare at his lips. She was trying to figure out what he was saying.

"I... I'm sorry." He whispered, then looked up at her.

She smiled and shook her head, then made the circular motion on her chest again before writing on her notebook.

Accepting the new sheet of paper, he read it several times as well.

'Don't be sorry. I was born deaf, so I've learned to live with it.'

Seonghwa felt his chest tighten. Standing in front of him was someone who had never been able to experience life the way he had, and yet she could still smile at him.

Amy handed him another sheet of paper.

'Thank you for being so nice to me.'

Before he had a chance to answer, she turned and walked away, not looking back.

Seonghwa raised a hand to his mouth to muffle his soft sobs.

.

.

.

.

Amy did her best to not turn around. She had seen the look on his face. The pity. Everyone gave her that look when she told them.

She didn't want their pity. She already knew she was broken; they didn't need to confirm it for her.

As she walked away, she told herself over and over that someone like him would never want to be with someone like her.

And yet, the words broke her heart.

.

.

.

.

"Hongjoong, can I borrow your laptop?" Seonghwa asked when they returned to the apartment.

"Of course, what's going on? You've seemed out of it ever since Amy ran out of the room. Is she ok?"

Seonghwa didn't answer. He just pulled the laptop closer to him and pulled up a search engine.

He arrived on campus early the next day, picking a spot where he could get a view of the main courtyard that pretty much every student had to walk through to get to their class.

As soon as she saw her red hair, he pushed his way through the crown and grabbed her hand. He felt her try to pull away as an initial reaction, but she followed him willingly after a moment.

Seonghwa ducked behind the nearest building, looking for somewhere quiet. When he turned to her, she looked confused as she tilted her head slightly.

Taking a deep breath, he held his hand up and waved it back and forth, then placed his palm on his chest. He then took both hands, held two fingers out on each hand, and tapped his right hand on top of his left twice, then took his time spelling out his name letter by letter.

Amy's mouth fell open and tears instantly appeared in her eyes. She covered her mouth and closed them.

Seonghwa smiled and waited for her to calm down.

When she finally did, she took one hand and placed her fingers to her lips before bringing it away from her, keeping her palm facing up. Then she pulled out her notebook.

'You learned sign?'

"A little bit." He said, rubbing the back of his neck and blushing. "I felt bad about how things ended yesterday. So, I wanted you to know that... I'm ok with it. I was just surprised, that's all."