taehyung

THE NIGHT WE MET

- in which you meet a gentle soul that goes by the name of taehyung

The eerie darkness of that night would never escape your memory.

You clearly remember the pitch-black curtain draped over the sky, and the twisted, warped shapes that the stars made against the blackness. The milky speckles twirled and danced along the sky in various patterns, tugging at the corners of your lips in a way that almost made you smile.

It was hard to shove aside the worries corrupting your mind, but eventually, you stopped walking over the soft sand below your feet and just...stopped thinking.

You were alone.

Nothing from your life could touch you. Not a single thing could harm you. You stared up at the sky and studied the silver glow of the moon. She smiled down at you with love so intense it warmed your soul like a fireplace on a cold winter's night. And there you were, standing on the shore at midnight to escape your life at home, not wanting to do anything but cry.

But the look that the moon gave you didn't cause the storm to go on inside of you. Instead, a hot blue fire flickered in your heart and soon started to grow, eating at all of the dark emotions in its path. Your worries burned away, and the tears that were starting to form at the corners of your eyes melted down your cold face with a rush of relief.

Crying felt good, especially when they were tears that you didn't want to push away. They weren't drops of sadness, no. They were more like the feelings of joy, relief, happiness and freedom streaming away from your hurt eyes. They were temporary cleaners to wash away the pain.

You never cried, it just wasn't you.

But that night, under the protection of millions of stars and the beautiful moon, you felt like you could let the floodgates open with a single snap of your fingers. You stared up at the sky and continued to let your pain run away for the moment.

The cold midnight waves rolled in and tickled your feet as you stood on the beach, not ever wanting to leave.

The soft sound of feet treading through the sand caught your attention, your eyes reluctantly straying away from the masterpiece above to identify the source of the noise. Your tear filled eyes landed on the figure of a man, the hood of his jacket pulled down to hide his face.

Embarrassed by your pain, you used your sleeve to wipe away the drops and shoved your hands into your pockets with a sniffle.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" He murmured, motioning with a tilt of his head to the sky. Instead of following his gaze, you had turned your head towards him, studying as much of his face as you could.

Suddenly, his eyes flicked to meet yours.

"Sorry," you mumbled, clearing your throat as you awkwardly went back admiring the night. He chuckled, the sound oddly pleasing for you to hear. It blended in well with the sound of the waves softly lapping at your legs.

"It's fine. What brings you out here?" He smiled kindly, hand reaching out to tug the material of his hood down. Your words faltered in your throat, a strange noise emitting from it at the sight of him.

The moon shined her light upon him, jealous of the way each curve caught her light perfectly. His eyes sparkled, each star reflected in his gleaming orbs. You were captivated, too lost to realise that he was speaking once again.

"I'm sorry if that was a personal question to ask," he blurted out sheepishly, running his long fingers through his soft, obsidian coloured locks.

"No, it's fine. I just needed a place to breathe," you explained, offering him a tight lipped smile. He returned it with an approving one, nodding slowly.

"We all need places like that. I'm glad that you chose this one, though. We may bump into each other more often."

You sighed and took a deep breath in, a soft smile curling your lips upwards. The man noticed and grinned, tapping you on the shoulder. You opened one eye, surprised by the hand extended in your direction.

"I'm Taehyung."

You gripped his hand, marvelled by the warmth it spread into you.

"I'm Y/N."

Then it descended back into silence, the soothing sounds of the world around you bringing the both of you the peace you desired.