jimin

this week's five, enjoy!

In this crowded ward, you are alone.

The day is broken only by the arrival of meals and medications, the visitors to other beds, the doctor on her rounds. There are faces and busy bodies but not one is familiar. Some are kindly, most are harried, and the air is punctuated with screams as those with broken bones must be moved. Some cries are softer, not physical pain but the anguish of grief.

All these keen emotions around you and none of them to you or about you. You are one of life's smilers, it's how you greet friend, stranger or foe. It doesn't mean you're OK on the inside.

Not at all.

Your friends knew that, your sister and mother too, but they are gone. These nurses will sing your praises when they have reason to return. You're "no problem," "a real gem" and "one of a kind." But inside you feel like the love you accumulated over the years is evaporating faster than the moisture from your weary lungs.

You envy the flowers at your roommates bedside, but not because they are pretty. Jimin, the newest addition to your makeshift home, waters them with a loving smile on his face.

"Jimin, why do you keep those flowers?" You ask him one morning, watching as he sets the small glass to the side and smiles warmly at you, stopping the sweet song coming from his mouth.

"They are my only connection to what's beyond those walls. With the rate this place is going, we aren't getting out anytime soon so I might as well hold onto something. That, and they wouldn't let me get a cat," he answers, his warm smile shifting into a goofy, lopsided one.

From that moment on, you deemed him as your connection to the outside world.

Originally, you felt alone but with Jimin brightening your day and making you feel normal, you feel like you can smile freely again.

"Jimin," he looks over at you curiously, rolling to his side so he can look at your face while playing with your hair, "would you run away with me? I mean, if we were to get out of here."

He chuckles, bringing you in for a hug and a kiss on the cheek. Squishing his cheek against your shoulder, he nods, eyes glazing over as he thinks about.

"Yeah, we could run and find ourselves a nice cosy place. Just for the two of us. Oh, and a cat. It'll be perfect," he utters in a wonder filled sentence, using his hands to exaggerate.

"Hmm, perfect," you sigh, the sounds of the machines in the room taking over the needed silence in between the two of you.