55

"Can you hear it?"
Bella Croft

For a moment I was happy. My world, my own little bubble was ready to move on with the positives. For a moment I could live and be fine, no longer crying or feeling my heart ache.

But my moment was taken from me by the cruel, cruel world.

Within hours I was on a plane home, could I even call it home anymore.

My luggage in my hands, I stood tall waiting for Jay, the driver to pick me up. The familiar sight of Canada all around me now.

I got in the car silently, Jay didn't even say anything. This was not how I expected to be coming back home.

Maybe the universe isn't on my side. Maybe I did something to deserve the pain and this is just my karma.

I had felt heartbreak but this was different. Again, the English language fails to find words for the depth of my sadness.

"Miss Croft we're home" jay says. I nod getting out the car. I take one of my bags and he takes the rest leading up to the gates.

Then the gates open to my home. My feet take me forward and my bag slips out of my hand as I see all these people on sight, walking around like they had business here.

It hit me head on.

I dropped down to the floor, knees giving up on me. I let out a scream, a cry, a sob whatever you want to call it, it was filled with pain.

"Honey" a pair of warm hands rub my back. I look up and miss porter pulls me into a long hug.

"No no no" my mantra that I mumble into her shoulder. Hiccups escaping my lips, body jolting forward at the cries escaping my lungs.

"Bella" Miss porter mumbles whimpering. "He's dead" I weep. "He's dead and it's my fault" I hit my hands on the pebbled ground, it hurt but my heart was hurting more.

"I shouldn't have gone... He's- he's gone" I put my hands in my hair tugging at the roots but it didn't hurt. "Both of them!" I shout clenching my eyes shut.

"They're dead!" I scream bursting into hysterical cries, looking like a mad woman.

"It's not your fault Bella" Miss porter hushes me. I move out her arms standing up. Through my blurred vision I walk over to the entrance of the house. I step foot inside going to the kitchen. Well what was left of the kitchen.

"How?" I mumble to myself. "Too much smoke inhalation, a fire started due to old pipe work and mechanics leading to the kitchen. Ben Croft was in the kitchen when it happened and Ryder Croft came down stairs, he was young so it quickly effected him" some random guy explains to me.

"And now they're dead" I sob. I look around at the blacked out kitchen, ashes of random things. The world must really hate me.

A dad, my dad. A saviour, gentle, kind hearted man. A brother, my brother Ryder, my best friend. Taken away from me.

I remembered how happy they looked. How they shared the same smile when they came to see me in France. How I'd die to see their smiles again.

"Bella, come on. Let's get you to bed" miss porter takes my hand and leads me to my room, which looked exactly the same as I left it. I crawled into bed and cried.

"Miss porter-"

"Jane" she cuts me off. She puts a hand in my hair rubbing my head. "Jane, they're not coming back" I let my tears run down my face making my pillow wet.

She shakes her head letting out a cry, resting her head on my arm. I had no strength to comfort her or even myself. So we both just stayed and cried, our hearts expressing what our words couldn't.

-
"Are you ready?" The man asks me. I grab Janes hand as the two bodies lie next to each other covered with a pale blue sheet. I nod getting ready to brace myself.

The sheets were lifted.

I gasp holding hand over my mouth. "They- they're gone" I cry. I was about to touch Ryder's hand but I couldn't. The corpse was terrifying. Seeing my dead family, my own blood on these mental tables did something to me.

"Ryder" I go over to the other side. He barely fit on the table. His lips and face had lost colour. Jet black hair had been pushed back and I could no longer see his gorgeous blue eyes.

My breathing was staggered. My hands were shaking and my hot tears barely let me see a thing.

"Daddy?" I blink quickly walking to his table. "Daddy, open your eyes" I shake the lifeless body.

"Sweetheart. I'm okay" a voice. His voice rang in my ears. I turn looking back at Jane.

"Can you hear it?" I whisper.

"Bells I love you" there it was again. I jumped looking back at dads body. His dead body.

"I- I love you too daddy" I whimper.

"Come on Bella, lets go" Jane takes my hand and pulls me back. "Just one more minute please" I tug my hand back.

"No bells" she takes my hand again. "Doctor, please take them away" Jane tells them.

"No don't. Don't take them away from me!" I yell at the doctor as he put the sheets back over their bodies. "Stop it!" I yell.

"They're at peace Bella, don't ruin the peace" Jane sniffles.

Peace. I want peace, how will I get it?