57. Dahlia

This part of the story is..difficult to tell, Hope. I did something, I did what was right to me...but not to everyone else. 

February 16, 2013 

Mystic Falls, Virginia 

The Salvatore Boarding Home

Poppy let out a yawn, turning in bed and grabbing her phone, which had buzzed. It was her dad. 

Time to come home.

February 17, 2013

New Orleans, Louisiana 

The Streets

The streets were alive with the buzzing of tourists and the music of artists, the sun shining down on New Orleans. On the street walked Hayley, who pushed Hope in a stroller, and Jackson.  

"Well, Mrs. Marshall-Kenner, now that you've got a real local to show you around the Quarter, what would you like to see first?" Jackson asked with a smile. 

Hayley smirked. "Oh, Mr. Kenner, I'd ask to see your old haunts, but we do have an impressionable young lady with us." She replied, reaching down to tickle her daughter, who giggled. 

From one of the shops nearby exited Poppy, who held a few bags on her arm. She wore warm clothes, but not a coat, it wasn't extremely cold that day. She smiled at the sight of her family and jogged to them, her suede flats padding against the ground. 

"Hey!" She greeted with a smile. 

Jackson smiled and reached forward, wrapping an arm around her neck and pulling her into a side hug. "What's up kiddo?"

"Is Silas with you?" Hayley asked, continuing to walk with them. 

"Not this time." Poppy said with a smile. "You know, Valentine's Day passed and he figured he'd go to the mall for a late surprise." She jabbed Jackson's side with her fingers playfully, and he released her from the hug. "Oh my gosh, I found the cutest shoes ever at the store." She reached into the bag and pulled a small pair of furry boot out, holding them up. 

Hayley reached out and took them with a smile. "Aww. I love these!" 

Poppy smiled, walking with them and putting the shoes back into the bag. Hayley reached down and tickled Hope again. The four of them stopped to watch a violinist, who played a happy upbeat song, the hairs of the bow brushing against the strings with ease. 

"Whoaaa!" Hayley exclaimed to Hope, who smiled. 

The song was ended with a dramatic few notes, and the four smiled. 

"Thanks!" Poppy dropped a twenty dollar bill into the violin case before continuing to walk with a smile, which quickly faded when the violinist began to play a slower song, the song that played on the music box, the song that she heard in her vision. She grabbed onto Jackson's arm, taking a few deep breaths. 

"That song..what is it?" Hayley asked, getting the chills. Jackson and Hayley both looked back at the violinist, who stared at them. Hayley began to walk a little faster. 

"It's Dahlia's song.." Poppy whispered, and Jackson held her hand to comfort her. 

The tribrid looked around, more paranoid, more alert. She looked at a chalkboard, which stood outside of a restaurant, and one of the waiters was writing on it. 'A promise made is a debt to be paid.' Poppy gripped the werewolf's hand tighter, her knuckles white. Hayley noticed it too, and took a breath, trying to play it cool.