19. Teen Spirit

The world was busy around the as they stood before a crypt, looking at the entrance. 

"How do you know that Anna wasn't tricking you?" Katherine asked, walking down the steps. 

"This is the place," Jeremy followed her. "It's the oldest wing of the largest cemetery in Charlotte. She said that a witch entombed him here in the nineties." He told her, peering into the window to see a tomb. "Look there."

Katherine nodded and broke open the doors. She stepped over to the tomb, pushing the slab off of it. Inside was a man, who appeared mummified and frail. His body was wrapped in chains. When the slab hit the floor, he opened his eyes. 

September 6, 2010

Mystic Falls, Virginia 

Mystic Falls High School 

Poppy sat in a classroom next Stefan, who had rudely placed himself in between the doppelgänger and the Original daughter, in a sour and paranoid mood. She hit the eraser of her pencil against the table swiftly, over and over. 

"Hey, relax. I'm only here to protect you and the human blood bag, no offense to you Elena." Stefan spoke to her and Elena. 

The night before, her father had compelled Stefan to turn off his emotions. 

Poppy clenched her jaw and snapped her pencil, jamming one end into his side. Stefan closed his eyes, sighing, and pulling the pencil out. 

Alaric cleared his throat from the front of the class to get them to stop, holding a piece of chalk between his fingers. On the board, he had written "AP AMERICAN HISTORY". 

"Welcome back, seniors. Let's turn our brains back on, starting with this country's original founders...the Native Americans." He announced. 

"What about the Vikings?" A familiar voice asked from the doorway. The one and only Rebekah Mikaelson. She walked into the classroom and took a seat next to her niece, who gave her a smile and a small wave. Tyler, Caroline, and Elena all looked at the vampire. 

"There's no evidence that Viking explorers actually settled in the United States. Who are you?" Alaric asked, confused. 

Rebekah smiled, quickly waving at Poppy and looking at Alaric. "My name's Rebekah. I'm new. And history's my favorite subject."

"Nice to meet you, Rebekah." Alaric sighed. "Everyone, please turn to chapter one of your textbooks and find a partner to do Activity One with. You have thirty minutes."

Poppy turned into her seat. "Partners?" She asked her aunt. 

Rebekah nodded. "Of course." She winked. 

Poppy stood up and pushed her desk against Rebekah's before opening her textbook. "All right... The Hohokam inhabited which area?" She read aloud. 

"Southern Arizona." Rebekah answered, and Poppy wrote down the answer. 

Alaric walked to them, bending over a bit. "Are you Poppy's aunt?" He asked quietly. 

Rebekah nodded with a smile. "I am. Don't worry, I won't let her fail the class." 

"Good. Make sure to not be a distraction either. And please, don't kill anyone." Alaric told her before walking back to his desk. 

Later

The field was alive with football practice and cheerleading practice. Students jogged the track, and others hung out.