16. The Hybrids

The summer had been long and hot in the southeastern states of the USA, and was filled with driving and hunting for werewolves to make into hybrids--The great experiment of the new order. Stefan was losing himself each day, his hunger for blood overwhelming. Poppy, on the other hand, felt as though she was finding herself. She had reunited with her father and she had been practicing her magic. Poppy and Stefan had grown closer again, mostly due to the circumstances.

After Poppy and Stefan revealed to Klaus the wrong doings of his mother, Esther, she had cast a spell to cause them to forget the day's incident. Poppy had stopped taking the herbs, and she was slowing dealing with the dark magic with her dad. 

Poppy had seen Damon a few times, but had refused to go back to Mystic Falls with him. As much as she missed her home and friends, she knew she couldn't leave her dad. She didn't want to. So she stayed with him, traveling. 

After their run in with a werewolf, Ray Sutton, at a bar, they managed to learn the location of a werewolf pack-the Smoky Mountains. 

August 24, 2010

The Smoky Mountains

The Woods/Werewolf Encampment 

Poppy walked through a forest in the Smoky Mountains, occasionally swatting bugs away. She scrunched her nose, feeling sweaty and hot. Behind her trudged Klaus and Stefan, who was carrying an unconscious werewolf, Ray, on his shoulders. 

Klaus turned to Stefan while walking. "You okay? Is Ray getting heavy?"

"I'm fine." Stefan grunted, trudging. 

Klaus raised an eyebrow. "You sure about that? You know, we've been walking for quite some time now. If you need some water or a little sit-down..."

Stefan rolled his eyes. "You know, I get that we're, uh...we're stuck together, but if we could maybe just skip the chitchat, it'd be great."

Klaus let out a sigh. "So much brooding. Your self-loathing is suffocating you, my friend."

"Maybe it's 'cause I'm a little tired of hunting werewolves. We've been at it all summer."

"Thanks to our little friend Ray, we found ourselves a pack." Poppy told the men, nodding her head towards a camp. "There." 

Stefan walked into the camp, setting Ray on the ground as the people turned to look at the vampire. A woman rushed over, worried. 

"Ray! Oh, my God. What's going on? Who are you?" She questioned, looking at the Salvatore brother. 

Klaus and his daughter joined Stefan, walking over. 

"The important question is, who am I?" Klaus stated. "Please forgive the intrusion. My name is Klaus, and this is my daughter Poppy."

The woman's face was filled with realization. "You're the hybrids."

Klaus smiled, looking at her. "You've heard of us. Fantastic." 

Poppy walked to a boulder and sat down, grabbing her bottled water and opening it before taking a drink. Her father walked over to her, sitting next to her. He smiled when she leaned into his side. 

"It's fascinating, actually..." Klaus spoke. "A werewolf who isn't beholden to the moon, a vampire who doesn't burn in the sun. In Poppy's case she's a witch instead of a vampire. True hybrids." 

On the ground, Ray woke up. 

Klaus smiled. "Excellent timing, Ray. Very dramatic."

Ray took deep breaths and looked around. "What's happening to me?"