38. An Original's Sin

"These are the good moments...the simple ones, the ones that matter. These are the moments that keep me from falling apart."

September 9, 2011

Mystic Falls, Virginia 

The Quarry

It was dark, and the air around her was fluid and cold. There was no hint of light as the water filled her lungs, her body burning from the need for oxygen. She squeezed her eyes shut, but perhaps they were closed the entire time. It was hard to tell in the darkness. 

There was no pain like it; the feeling of complete loss of control, the overwhelming rush of cold, the feeling of no space around you, the constant nagging for euphoric breath, but the disability, not being able to help yourself. 

She extended her arm upward, or what she thought was upward. Her fingers brushed against the small grains of rock and bone, letting it flow upwards into her hair. 

She had been upside down.

She opened her eyes, letting glow their signature bright blue, lighting up the water around her. With what strength she had, she looked around, the water in her lungs causing her agony. She turned herself upright and pushed herself over to a safe, which rested on the rocks. She wedged her fingers between the safe surface and the rocks, lifting it up and using her magic to shove it upwards to the surface. She watched as it floated to shore, feeling what strength she had leave, and as she closed her eyes, the light left, and she let the water consume her. 

New Orleans, Louisiana 

The Compound

Klaus walked to the table and grabbed his keys, frustrated and upset. 

"Where are you going?" Rebekah asked him, also upset. 

"I'm going to Mystic Falls. If my daughter is playing her games by neglecting to answer the phone, which should have that stupid Find My Friends-" 

"Poppy wouldn't play us like this, Niklaus, you of all people should know this." Rebekah told him. "If something is happening to her, we need to go about this with our heads."

Klaus clenched his jaw. "She's too smart to be taken, Rebekah! She's too powerful!" 

"Nik! Stop overestimating her, she's a child not a soldier! She wouldn't have missed her own birthday. Odds are she was taken, so let's find a witch and find her!" 

Her brother shook his head. "I'm going to Mystic Falls, so come with me or don't, that's your choice."

September 10, 2011

Mystic Falls, Virginia

The Quarry

Darkness. Peace. Comfort. And then a sparkle of light. Warm air, feeling cool against her wet skin. She heard the crickets from nearby sing their songs, which were clear as the day. The rocks beneath her were smooth, but uncomfortable.  

Poppy coughed, water spurting from her mouth as she turned onto her side. When she rid it from her lungs, she gasped for air, grabbing a fist full of rocks. She watched as the cuts on her fingers began to heal, and the bruises fade. The colors she saw when she opened her eyes were vibrant, like never before. She lifted herself off of the ground and stumbled to the safe, which had been opened and emptied, replaced with a bloodied body, limp and lacking life.