26. A Haunting Tune

Music played throughout the Mikaelson Mansion, the inhabitants filled with life, tension, and joy. With the music sang a beautiful voice, smooth and almost perfectly pitched. The Mikaelsons listened, each of them preparing for a formal ball in their own ways; Rebekah sat on the couch, her nails being painted by a compelled assistant, Kol stood in front of a mirror, his black suit being adjusted by a tailor, Finn shining his shoes and Elijah tying his tie. Poppy stood nearby, a tailor adjusting a dress that she had designed-a long sleeved, low v-necked, flowing from just below her breasts, red dress, which was speckled in black at the bottom. 

"And though the truth may vary-this-ship will carry our bodies safe to shore. Don't listen to a word I say, the screams all sound the same, and though the truth may vary-this-ship will carry our bodies safe to shore." Poppy sang along to the acoustic version of 'Little Talks', her voice soft, but echoing. "And though the truth may vary-this-ship will carry our bodies safe to shore." She finished. 

Kol smiled, clapping a bit, making Poppy smile in satisfaction and joy. 

"I've never heard you sing before, Poppy." Rebekah told her. 

"I've never had the time." She told her aunt. "Between school, death, and, well, more death, I've been busy." She smirked, causing her uncle Elijah to roll his eyes. 

"Not to mention the errands you run for Niklaus." Finn reminded her. "Perhaps you should leave, take up a life of joy."

"Oh, Finn. Perhaps I find this life joyous. It was Klaus who saved me from my parents. I owe him." She replied, internally cringing at the lie. 

Kol turned to them. "Rebekah? Tell me how handsome I am."

Rebekah gave him a smile. "Ah Kol, you know I can't be compelled."

Finn smirked, and the lot turned their attention to the opening of a door. Klaus walked in angrily and over to his sister. 

"You went after Elena? What is wrong with you?!"

"Here we go." His sister groaned. 

Klaus narrowed his eyes. "Do you want another dagger in your heart?"

Kol walked to them. "Again with the dagger threats? Don't you have any other tricks?"

"Oh, go back to staring at yourself." Klaus retorted. 

"And who are you, my father?" Kol inquired. 

Klaus shook his head, "No, Kol, but you're in my house."

Kol smirked. "Then perhaps we should go outside."

"Klaus, Kol. That's enough." Poppy spoke, holding up her arms so her dress could be adjusted. 

"Niklaus. Come." Esther spoke, and the two left the room together. 

Poppy let out a soft sigh. "One day without you lot arguing and you can't even do that." 

"I believe I've remained silent this entire time, little one." Elijah told her, a small smile on his face. 

Poppy smiled. "And I do believe that I was talking to Kol." She winked playfully at him. 

Kol rolled his eyes and walked to her, folding his arms over his chest. "And what're you going to do about it?"

"You forget I'm a witch, and a werewolf." Poppy reminded him. "I can easily destroy you."

"Destroy me, eh?" Kol smiled, nudging her playfully. 

Poppy giggled, shoving him away. She turned, as the tailor had requested her to do, then brought her hand to her temple, letting out a soft hiss as pain exploded in her head. Blood dripped from her nose and onto her lip.