24. The New Deal Part 2

"I remember tears streaming down your face when I said I'll never let you go

When all those shadows almost killed your light

I remember you said don't leave me here alone

But all that's dead and gone and passed tonight

Just close your eyes, the sun is going down

You'll be alright, no one can hurt you now

Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound

Don't you dare look out your window, darling everything's on fire

The war outside our door keeps raging on

Hold onto this lullaby even when the musics gone, gone

Just close your eyes, the sun is going down

You'll be alright, no one can hurt you now

Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound

Just close your eyes, you'll be alright

Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound"

Safe and Sound

Taylor Swift

September 25, 2010

Mystic Falls, Virginia 

The Lockwood Mansion

"I did this." Poppy spoke, her voice cracking. She placed her bloodied hand on her forehead, shocked and full of guilt. "I don't want to be like this."

Klaus frowned, walking towards her. He placed a hand on her arm. "We're going to fix this." He told her, his voice gentle but serious. "I won't let anyone else hurt you." 

"What're we going to do?" She asked, her voice just above a whisper. She looked into his eyes in search of comfort. 

"Wash up, fresh clothes will be on the dresser when you are done." He replied before leaving the room. 

Poppy laid in the porcelain tub, the bubbles concealing her body. With a sponge, she scrubbed her arms in a panicked way, even though they were clean. Her vision was filled of the blood and lifeless eyes, of the heart she held in her hand. Her body was filled with newfound energy; she was no longer weak.

"I'm going to scrub my arms off-" She told herself. "-if I am to continue this maniacal behavior." She dropped the sponge into the water, tilting her head as the dark veins spread. 

She stood up and stepped out of the water, wrapping the towel around her frame. 

Mystic Falls, Virginia 

The Salvatore Boarding Home 

The Salvatore home was quiet, empty of its normal inhabitants, except for Damon, who stood at the table and poured himself a drink. He turned, seeing Klaus in the doorway.

"I think it's about time we had a drink, don't you?" The Mikaelson suggested, walking to the Salvatore.

Damon raised and eyebrow and nodded. "I'd say we're overdue."

Klaus gave him a nod. "Well, you've been so busy with all your plotting and scheming."

"You know me. Never miss a chance to plan an epic failure."