36. Mortality

"How dare you command me...threaten me, with what you wrongfully perceive to be my weaknesses. I won't hear any more lies!"

"Niklaus. Listen."

"Kill her and the baby. What do I care?" 

May 17, 2011

New Orleans, Louisiana 

The conversation from nights before replayed through Poppy's mind as she stood near a window inside of what used to be a plantation, where Hayley and she had been staying at. She looked at a squirrel in the grass as it walked around, leaning her head against the wall. 

Hayley walked to her quietly, placing a hand on her back comfortingly underneath her curls, which in their natural state were similar to those of Katerina Petrova's when she hung around Elijah and Klaus. 

"You've been awfully quiet today. What's on your mind?" Hayley asked her with a soft tone, a tone that could easily be seen as a motherly tone, which was the kind of tone Hayley was taking. 

Poppy looked at the werewolf, folding her arms over her chest loosely. "I feel like the drama in Mystic Falls is more worth being a part of than the drama here..." 

Hayley let out a sigh. "Maybe, maybe not. But, you do need some time away from this hell hole..no offense."

"None taken." Poppy moved her head away from the wall. "I think I'll head to the shops today. Do you want me to get you anything?"

"Not that I can think off." She replied as Poppy walked towards the doorway, slipping on her sneakers, which added to the white t shirt and sweatpants (which were from the men's section; more comfort and larger pockets). "Actually," a small smile formed on Hayley's face. "If you happen to see Klaus, kick his ass for not letting me leave this place."

Poppy smirked, looking back at her. "You know I'll do it anyways." She winked before stepping outside. 

❌❌❌

The streets were calm that day, a few people lingered here and there but other than that it was quiet. Poppy walked down the sidewalk, typing on her phone. She was texting Stefan. Her walking stopped.

I miss you guys :'(((  

We miss you too. I have a feeling New Orleans isn't going so well for you. When are you coming back?

Hopefully soon, a lot has happened and I don't know if I can handle it on my own

Well once you visit we can talk about it, ok? 

Thanks Stef 

She clenched her jaw when her phone was pulled out of her hands and turned off, being put into her pocket. She folded her arms over her chest and looked up at her dad with an unamused face. 

She raised an eyebrow. "Tell me how you want this to play out. Do I act surprised and smile at your presence?"  

Klaus frowned. "Love, I think we should talk.."

"About how you screwed up?" Poppy asked, beginning to walk, but he vamped in front of her, making her stop. 

"Yes, I screwed up." He told her. 

"Monumentally." Poppy added. 

Klaus let out a sigh. "Fine, I screwed up. Monumentally." He placed his hands on the sides of her upper arms, looking into her lonely and sad blue eyes. "How can I make it up to you?"