13. The Sun Also Rises

Just outside New Orleans - 1917 

Poppy was seated with Rebekah at a table, looking around the party. She wasn't quite sure what it was for. She shrugged and sipped her water from her glass, closing her eyes. She set down her glass and yawned. 

"Auntie Bex, I want to go to bed." She spoke quietly and tiredly. 

Rebekah gave her a small smile. "I know, sweetheart, but Marcellus will be arriving soon. In fact-" she looked up, seeing Marcel walk into the compound, wearing his military uniform. "he's here right now."

Poppy perked up, smiling. "He is?!" 

"Yes, go say hi." Rebekah laughed. 

Poppy got off the chair and ran towards her brother, smiling widely. "Marcellus!" She yelled in excitement hugging his leg tightly. 

Marcel laughed, smiling. She bent over, picking up his little sister and planting kisses all over her face. She giggled, wrapping her arms around his neck. 

"Marcel-" Poppy laughed, squealing in happiness. 

"It's good to see you, Poppy." He told her softly. 

Poppy yawned, resting her cheek against her arm, which laid on Marcel's shoulder. 

"Past your bedtime, huh?" He wondered aloud, walking towards Rebekah. "Aren't you gonna welcome me home?" He inquired to her. 

"I wouldn't want you to think that I was happy to see you." She stated. 

"How long you gonna hate me?" He asked, frowning. 

"You left me in a box for fifty-two years. Twice that seems like a good start." She replied. 

Poppy rubbed her eyes, nuzzling into Marcel's neck. Marcel turned his head, looking over at the bar, where Klaus and Elijah stood. Klaus waved him over with a smile, so Marcel made his way over with Poppy in his arm. 

"There he is! Our war hero, triumphantly returned. Oh, good to have you back, Marcellus. Welcome home!" Niklaus exclaimed with joy, patting his adoptive son's back. The three men toasted and drank their martinis, given to them by the waiter. 

Elijah let out a laugh. "The prodigal son has finally learned to hold his liquor."

Marcel nodded, setting Poppy onto her feet, who turned and hugged her father's leg. "The Army'll do that to you."

"Well, it's good to have you back. Niklaus was beside himself in your absence." Elijah told his adoptive nephew. 

Niklaus set down his glass, picking up his daughter and holding her. Poppy rubbed her face into his chest tiredly. "Now that you are here," he spoke "perhaps you could help settle an argument. You see, you've traded a war abroad for one here in the Quarter. Some rogue witch wants a piece of the city we built, and Elijah, for reasons beyond my comprehension, insists that negotiation is our best recourse."

Elijah nodded in agreement. "Yes."

Klaus turned to his brother. "On the topic of your failed comprehension, you neglect, as a soldier, Marcel has seen not only how small the world has become and how fast news can travel, but also the very horrors of war itself. Surely, Marcel would agree with me."

"The best way for us to defend our home is by exercising discretion." Elijah spoke. 

Marcel nodded. "So who's the witch you want to kill?" He asked quietly.