47. I Fall Apart

Spoilers A/N: I'm halfway through watching season 6 and it's hitting a little close to home with the *SPOILERS* inoperable brain tumor and I have not stopped crying 

Also I'm sorry for the late update, I've been sick af. Also this chapter is prolly gonna be the longest I've written

"Because every time you see them happy you remember how sad they're going to be. And it breaks your heart. Because what's the point in them being happy now if they're going to be sad later. The answer is, of course, because they are going to be sad later." -The Doctor

February 19, 2002

Mystic Falls, Virginia 

The Salvatore Boarding Home 

"You are 9 years old, pumpkin," Stefan spoke, almost in a scolding manner, standing at the stove in the kitchen. He looked at the little girl who sat at the table, a mug of hot chocolate in her hands, whip cream on her nose. Her cheeks were rosy, and her brown curls were against her back. She smiled widely, missing one of her teeth. Stefan couldn't help but smile, and he grabbed a napkin. 

"You know what I wanna be when I grow up?" She asked as he wiped the whip cream off of her nose. 

"What?"

"A princess!" Young Poppy exclaimed, smiling widely. "And I'll marry a prince!"

Stefan smiled, setting the napkin on the table. "Well, I hate to break it to you but you're gonna have to find something else to be."

She looked up at him and frowned. "Why?"

"Because you're already a princess." He told her. "But, you can marry whoever makes you happy. However, I won't promise that I won't give them a tough time for taking you away from me."

"What're you gonna do, crack out your lame jokes?" She scrunched her nose playfully. 

Stefan faked a gasp. "My jokes are not lame!"

April 15, 2012 

Mystic Falls, Virginia 

In the Woods 

Poppy stood on the cliff of a mountain, watching the large orange circle in the sky set on Mystic Falls, giving the sky a color of oranges and reds. The weather was warm and delightful against her skin, and the ground beneath her toes was soft, with a few rocks here and there. 

"It's a wonderful day for a picnic, guys." She remarked, turning to look at her friends. They (Caroline, Elena, Stefan, Silas, and Tyler) had all decided to go to the mountains for a picnic. It had been Tyler's initial idea. Him and Poppy had slowly began to mend their friendship back together. 

"I know, right?!" Caroline smiled, sitting on the large blanket next to Elena. 

Poppy smiled, looking back at the sunset. In her hand she held a glass of wine, Stefan allowed her to have just one after she begged and begged.

On the blanket next to Caroline sat Silas. He kept his eyes trained on the young Mikaelson, one hand in his pocket. Caroline looked at him. 

"You are totally in love with her." She whispered, smiling. "It's cute." 

Silas looked at the vampire and smiled, pulling his hand from his pocket, holding a small wooden box. Caroline's eyes widened as he opened it to show her the ring inside, which was a silver band with a ruby on top. He placed a finger against his lips, signaling for her to be quiet. The blonde vampire nudged Elena, who was on her phone. The Gilbert glanced over and nearly gasped, placing a hand over her mouth.