5. Bourbon Street

Hello all! 

Sorry for the late update!!! Every night I've been planning on writing but then it ends up being me deleting everything I come up with ahaha.

Straying from TVD for a few chapters, I will cross into The Originals a little bit. Same universe. Don't worry, no major spoilers, as it will take place before The Originals takes place.

From this point on I will slowly start calling Mia by her actual name, Poppy. I hope you enjoy this chapter!

April 4, 2010

Louisiana 

Katherine flipped down the mirror in the car, opening her lip gloss gloss and applying a bit to her lips as she drove down the lonely two-lane highway. She stuck the wand back into the tube and rubbed her lips together, sneaking a glance at the unconscious girl laying in the backseat...Mia. With a small smirk she pushed the mirror back up into the ceiling and watched the road. 

Mia shifted in the seat, letting out a small groan of discomfort and pain. She sat up, her hair a mess from laying down for so long. 

"Well look who's awake," Katherine announced to no one. "Miss Poppy Salvatore. Tell me, do you know who your daddy is?"

The girl leaned her head back into the seat, frowning. "Please don't call me Poppy...it's weird coming from you. And no I don't."

"That's disappointing because I've been dying to find out." Katherine grumbled.

"That makes two of us." 

Katherine parked at a house and turned off the car before getting out. She walked to the back seat, opened the door, and grabbed Mia by her hair. She tugged her out swiftly and began walking, ignoring the girl's gasps of pain. She looked at the girl stumbling along side her. 

"What're you doing?" She gasped, walking along side the vampire, her figure tilted to the side.

"Getting rid of the competition." Katherine told her coldly, dragging her into the house and throwing her into down the basement stairs, watching as the girl fell limp at the bottom. "Sweet dreams."

Mia Salvatore shifted her head, which seemed to weigh a hundred bowling balls at the moment, and forced open her eyes. The room she was in was dark, the carpet beneath her cool and soft. The only light was from the top of the stairs, shining from beneath the door, and from the window, from the crescent moon as skinny as a finger nail and the twinkling stars. 

She could hear faint music playing, a violin, sounding a song of loneliness laced in beauty. She heard chatter, too distance to tell the topic of the conversations. 

When her head wasn't as heavy anymore, she stood up quietly. She crept to the window and opened it as silently as she could before standing on a chair to climb out of it. 

The basement door opened, revealing an older lady with a broomstick. "What do you think your doing, little girl?" She asked, rushing down the stairs. 

Mia quickly slipped through the window and crawled into the wet grass, it was raining softly. "I'm escaping." She said plainly to the old lady, though she was filled with fear and adrenaline. 

The lady grabbed Mia's leg, her nails digging into the skin. She whimpered and kicked her hand, causing the lady to release her leg. 

"Katherine will getcha, that's for sure little girl." The lady growled as the youngest Salvatore sibling stood up and ran. 

Mia ran down through the grass yard, and onto the street, where she continued to run. 

The cold air of the night burned her lungs as she took quick and sharp breaths during her escape. She turned the corner and stopped, quickly taking in her surroundings. 

The street was illuminated with different colors, such as blue and purple, orange and yellow, from different shops, bars, and restaurants. Groups of people walked the street, laughing and chatting, while individuals hid in dark corners. The street sign read 'Bourbon Street'.

The city was unlike a city she had seen before. She hadn't left Mystic Falls a day in her life, so she had only seen photos of some cities. 

She didn't know where she was, and she didn't know who to trust. Katherine could have compelled anyone. 

Mia took deep breaths before running again, ignoring looks she got from others. Her goal was to leave the city. Her feet landed softly on the ground, and she stepped into an alley way, trying to catch her breath as she pressed her back against the cool brick of a building. 

She hadn't had time to take in her injured state since she woke up. Dried on her face was blood, from her bruised nose. Her leg was bleeding from the lady, and her head still ached in pain. 

That's when everything crashed on her, and she let out a small sob, tears beginning the slip down her cheeks. She stepped out of the alley way, only to bump into someone (who seemed like they had somewhere to be), sending her to the ground. The person quickly apologized before continuing on their merry way. 

Mia stayed on the ground, staring up at the sky, which dropped light rain drops on her body. She moved her hands to rest them on her stomach and took a few shaky breaths. 

"In all my time in this city, I have never seen someone give up so easily." A voice said from a doorway a few feet away. 

She sighed, not answering as she heard footsteps walk to her. The figure knelt next to her body. 

"You look like you've been through a few things." The man said, referencing her nose and tears. 

Mia turned her head to look at the man. 

His skin was a shade of brown sugar, seeming smooth and contrasting against his light grey shirt. His hair was short, the color a deep brown. He was muscular, there was no doubt about that. On one of his fingers was a ring, definitely not a wedding ring though. 

"Who are you?" Mia asked. 

"Right," the man smirked a bit at the girl. "My name is Marcel Gerard and you are...?"

"In need of assistance." Mia replied. 

Marcel took her hand gently and helped her to her feet. 

"My name's Poppy Salvatore." She told Marcel, giving him a small smile of gratitude. 

"Well, Poppy, what's your story? Why are you crying?" He asked the girl. 

She frowned a bit, wiping her tears quickly. "You want the truth?"

"The truth would be nice." The man gave her a comforting smile. "But we should probably take this inside."

Mia nodded and followed him into the building, a small restaurant with a bar. The restaurant was quiet, there weren't many people and the music was soft classical. 

Marcel led her to a table and sat down with her.

She took a breath and explained to him how she was kidnapped from her home, and how she didn't know where she was. 

"For starters, sweetheart, this is New Orleans, the French Quarter." Marcel told her. "And how about I take you over to my place.  You could get a nice shower and make yourself at home before your family comes to get you." 

Mia hesitated before nodding. What's wrong with a simple human?