20. Ordinary People Part 1

I turned 17 today, September 8. 

When is your birthday?

September 7, 2010

Mystic Falls, Virginia

The Mystic Grill

Poppy stood outside of the Mystic Grill, looking around with her arms folded over her chest. It was nighttime, people were celebrating in the park the town's history. The town was filled with ghosts who wanted to be there, and they were there physically. She spent the night waiting, hoping to see Marcellus. 

When the ghosts went away, she went home. 

September 8, 2010

Mystic Falls, Virginia 

The Salvatore Boarding Home/A Mansion 

Poppy woke up in the morning, yawning as she checked her phone.

Dress formally. Meet me outside at 1. Damon had texted. 

Poppy sighed, she had an hour. She stood up and grabbed the dress she had tried on at the store in Chicago, sticking her feet into it after getting unchanged and pulling it up. Afterwards, she curled her brown hair and did simple makeup. 

She walked down the stairs, hugging herself and rubbing her arms. She opened the door. "Damon?" She called out, looking around. 

"Behind you." Damon spoke, causing her to turn around. He wore a fancy suit, complete with a blue tie. His hair was nicely down, and a bit curly. He gave her a soft smile. "You look gorgeous." 

Poppy smiled. "Thanks, Damon. You clean up nicely yourself." She told him before the two stepped outside fully. "Is there another council meeting?" 

"Something like that." He told her, opening the car door for her. When she got in, he shut the door and got in the driver's seat. 

The place he drove to was a mansion 40 minutes away from Mystic Falls, a pearly white exterior to clash with the red poppy flowers in the garden. A few other nice cars were there, parked near the entrance. Poppy furrowed her eyebrows. 

"I've never been here before." She told her oldest brother. "Usually the parties are held at the Lockwood's."

Damon nodded and parked, turning off the car and putting his keys in his pocket. He got out and walked to her door, opening it so she could get out. He took her hand gently and began to walk her to the entrance. 

"When I first met you, I used to eat you." Damon spoke, causing her to giggle a bit. 

"Yeah, yeah you did." Poppy said. 

Damon smiled a bit. "But now you're the little sister I've always wanted. You're beautiful and smart and you're extraordinary."

"You're not dying, are you?" She asked, somewhat teasing. 

"Can't I just say something nice?" He raised an eyebrow. 

Poppy smiled. "I'm flattered. Thank you." She told him as they reached the door. 

Standing there was Stefan, who also wore a suit. Poppy sighed, standing in front of him. 

"Behold, my knight in shining armor," Poppy grumbled. 

Stefan kinda smiled. "I know my emotions are off, but I do know what'd I say if they were on. I'd say that watching you grow up was the best thing that has ever happened to me. I love your smile, and your teasing. And regular me doesn't say this often enough, but I love you."