27. An Eventful Ball

There will be times where the psyche is precarious to become bemused in, for it may be the darkest of places, unwelcoming to wanderers and bereaved individuals, who seek to retreat into themselves for sanctuary. It is during those times where their family holds the power to restore the luminosity, and to be the knight which brings the happy ending. 

Though, in times when one is indeed reluctant to enter the depths of their psyche, they may seek refuge in a book or visual images, which hold worlds of distraction and infinite possibilities. The images will fill their mind, and will mask the darkness for a bit of time, and a bit of time only--this is why individuals obsess with fictional worlds, they macerate in them to deviate from their wretched lives.

Poppy sat on the couch in the Mikaelson mansion, the late afternoon sun pouring into the room through the large window and landing upon her relaxed form, the red of her dress seeming to glow. In her fingers was a book, which told a tale of a quiet English girl and her story of friendship and bravery. Her ocean eyes were fixated upon the pages, her brown curls draped over as a curtain on the right side of her face. 

Standing nearby was Niklaus, who held himself behind a painting easel, painting the scene of his daughter before him. 

The room was quiet and calm, the pair often hearing the paint brushing against the canvas or the turn of a page. Outside the window sounded a European Starling, which sang a soft tune created by the Original Daughter. 

"Painting with the blood of your enemies, Klaus?" The girl asked softly, turning the page.

Klaus smirked, looking at her. "More with the colors of a poppy flower, formed into a paint...and maybe a bit of blood." 

Poppy smiled. "Well, may I move now?"

"Of course, my love. I'm only adding a few finishing touches." Her father replied, dipping his paintbrush into a cup of red paint. 

His daughter closed the book gently and set it down. Lifting her head, she yawned and stood up. 

"Tired already?" Kol asked, walking into the room. "The party hasn't even started yet."

"Visions drain me, Kol." Poppy informed him, walking over to the painting and grabbing the paintbrush from her father's fingers. She dipped it in the red paint and added a few touches to it. The painting was of her, reading her book on the couch in the sun. 

Kol nodded, clasping his hands together. "Well, hopefully you're not too drained to join me for a walk in the park?" 

Poppy gave him a smile. "Just let me fetch my shoes, I'll meet you at the door." 

Klaus took the paintbrush back and watched as the two left the room with a smile, which faded when he turned his attention to the Starling bird outside. It's song had been mimicking the four haunting notes of the wicked witch in between the beginning and end of the same song, which had carried a happier tone. 

Poppy walked to her shoes, black flats, and slipped them on with her skirt lifted a bit. She walked to the door to her uncle, who smiled at her. 

"Ready to go, darling?" Kol asked, linking his arm in hers. 

"Always." Poppy smiled before leaving with him. 

Klaus walked to the window and opened it, shooing the Starling bird away. "Get out of here." He grumbled, closing the window. He then walked to his phone and opened up the messages app, clicking on 'Kol'. 

Watch out for Poppy. I'm worried. That vision=very very bad. -Klaus 

❌❌❌

An hour later.